Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Square vs. round coil former?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Square vs. round coil former?

What is the diameter for a coil wound on a round former w/ the same series resistance of a coil built on a 1.6" square former (same wire gauge/coil height)?

My math (laughter encouraged for replies accompanied by correct formula):
Area of 1.6" square = 2.56 sq in
Area of circle = Pi x r sq
Sq root of 2.56 over Pi = r = .5"
1" circle former diamter = 1.6" square former (same gauge and coil height will yield similar series resistance)

The following applies to the only series xo component on the midbass of a high-resolution speaker in a high-resolution system: a .82mH Solen Hepta Litz AWG16 coil will replace a standard .82mH AWG16 coil. Resolution is expected to increase. Will the XO pole be affected and if so? (Foil inductors are of no interest for reasons unrelated to cost.)

My sincere thanks!
Old 5th December 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I could be wrong but I just took the length of the square core to be 6.4" and if the circumference is 2 x pi x r then 6.4 divided by pi should give you the diameter of the circular core. So pretty close to 2.04" is my guess. As always I could be off in left field but let's see what the real genius' say.
Old 5th December 2009, 11:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well thanks! It took a grand total one reply to make more sense than me! Don't ask why I thought area had anything to do w/ it...
Old 6th December 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
"Q" is offline "Q"  United States
diyAudio Member

If I may ask......do you have or are you making a square voice coil? Square would seem a very difficult shape to wind securely and/or easy to deform the former.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Q" View Post
If I may ask......do you have or are you making a square voice coil? Square would seem a very difficult shape to wind securely and/or easy to deform the former.
Not making a square voice coil.

A French monopole OEM speaker was cloned into a bipole facsimile. The OEM employed a square coil, apparently a production type rather than custom wound, on an apparently plastic former, 1.6" square at the inner wire surface.

OEM performance is so high that there is good reason to desire to replicate it (except for the obvious difference in polar radiation) rather than change or attempt performance "upgrades". Still, I want to employ the above described Solen Hepta Litz in place of the square coil (don't even know where to get square coils, plus there is good reason to believe the Solen may actually "improve" performance). I'm slightly fearful the Solen's lower series resistance may produce an unintended/undesired change in performance, such as a slight alteration of the xo pole frequency

Square vs. round coil former?Hide this!Advertise here!