Experiment with cheap woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just bought these from GK and I had the Sony 8inch on the shelf.
FS was too high for the intended use and I can deal with the reduced efficiency.

I'm experimenting with added mass again, but this time as the cones are paper and uncoated i am using PVA wood-glue.

I did a couple of coats of PVA and let them dry overnite, this morning I mixed together some 150 grit Stainless Steel powder and some PVA to a thickish paste and have pored the gink into the base where the dustcap sits.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Pix of woofers

Pix of woofers

I'm having trouble uploading

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 90
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Because gravity pulls the stuff down anyway and I figure that any small fluctuations in density and distribution will have less effect if closer to the voice coil.
Done this before with epoxy resin, sometimes works well, sometime not so well, one time ruined a driver tho.

Howdy Bill! Hows the rebuild of your dads old speakers going??

Because gravity pulls the stuff down anyway and I figure that any small fluctuations in density and distribution will have less effect if closer to the voice coil.
Done this before with epoxy resin, sometimes works well, sometime not so well, one time ruined a driver tho.

Howdy Bill! Hows the rebuild of your dads old speakers going??

Pretty good, as a matter of fact, I posted a question about my midrange drivers enclosure volume just a moment ago. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.