Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DIY Audio 3-way reference project??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2009, 09:16 AM   #291
cjcc67 is offline cjcc67  Australia
diyAudio Member

The slanted approach would be easier to construct. Aesthetically i'd prefer the look of rabbitz design.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:58 AM   #292
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Very nice woodwork. The drivers are all ScanSpeak? or is the woofer another make/brand/model?
The tweeter is the Peerless 810921 (replaced a S2905) so is essentially a Scan Speak as they made them, mid woofer 18W8531G00 (coated), woofer M22WR-09-08. I did try a 22W8851T00 but didn't work as well as the M22WR in the design.

There's are bit of chip out around the top edge which was a bit disappointing but these were cut down from an OB mid design and became sealed in the mids. Cutting and trimming finished enclosures is a real pain as normally associated with the whirr sound is clunking sounds as timber splinters and breaks out.
Old 10th November 2009, 05:29 AM   #293
SamClassA is offline SamClassA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Audio 3-way reference project??

Did I miss something?? but where did this thread go??
Old 10th November 2009, 05:35 AM   #294
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamClassA View Post

It hasn't disappeared; just waiting for more people to jump in with mid-range suggestions and for some-one to have a go at a possible passive XO for the SEAS drivers already talked about.
I think people are trying to sort out how serious the project is ; that way we can get the most purchasers for the best deal, especially if we can get 100 kits together world wide
Old 10th November 2009, 09:36 AM   #295
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:

Actually we got to a point where we had a set of SEAS drivers proposed. The options being discussed were a TL with the woofer on top W-T-M so as to get a TL that is about 2.5m long (tuned to about 30Hz) or a dual woofer push-push sealed 3.5 way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
It hasn't disappeared; just waiting for more people to jump in with mid-range suggestions and for some-one to have a go at a possible passive XO for the SEAS drivers already talked about.
Actually no one was really belling the cat. I wanted to propose cabinet details for the 2 options but the same evening (about 2 weeks ago) my mom fell and broke her left ball and socket and left arm in multiple places. She spent over 6 hours in surgery last wednesday and we've been running back and forth trying to help her and run our lives. Extremely sleep deprevied right now. Sorry.

The 26RFX/R4EX / 15MCY / 27TDFC/TFFC drivers are resonably well behaved and working on a XO using LSPCad should be well within our capabilities. Maybe we were just hoping for one of the Pros to jump in and dothe hard work :-).
Old 10th November 2009, 03:16 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

Quote:

It will come and go over time as it's not a quick process.

The 2-way ref thread took a long time and didn't really kick off until the thread originator (USA) bit the bullet and built the first design I (AUS) came up with. He then tried different crossovers, designs and boxes over a short period giving me feedback. It wasn't until at least another 12 months or so before I committed time and money for the build. Then I was then able to do the alternative box and finalised 3 crossover variations. This work has to be done to prove the design so builders don't waste time and money. Since then I have played with various tweeters but these have not been documented at diyAudio as they have been for my own fun.
Old 10th November 2009, 03:39 PM   #297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The 26RFX/R4EX / 15MCY / 27TDFC/TFFC drivers are resonably well behaved and working on a XO using LSPCad should be well within our capabilities. Maybe we were just hoping for one of the Pros to jump in and dothe hard work :-).
Sorry to hear about your mum and they become very fragile in the older years. Been through a similar experience and very hard to keep it all together. Come to think of it I'm getting close the older years.

I'm posting a pic of the mid crossover for a MCA15RCY which was an alternative requested by a builder for the 3W Classic speaker. Troels supplied this information and is untested with the 3W design but he was confident. I hope I'm not stepping on his toes or annoying him by posting this. If I am, I'm very sorry.

The reason I want to post it is the mid crossover is the hardest to get right IMO and this would be a great starting point for the crossover design. The tweeter crossover from the 3W would work and could be easily tweaked. The woofer crossover would need some work and as it's a 10" woofer, the mid crossover point may want to be lowered a tad to suit. There is a bit of padding of the mid driver to suit the 3W and which means there is mid SPL available.

Maybe someone in Denmark may be able to obtain the help of Troels as he has bags of experience with these type of SEAS drivers in 3-ways. Madisound design service is always another option but maybe not in keeping with the diy and learning flavour of this thread. Hopefully someone will pick it up and run with it providing a learning tool in the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mca15_xo.jpg (59.9 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by rabbitz; 10th November 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10th November 2009, 05:04 PM   #298
J.R.Freeman is offline J.R.Freeman  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Navin, I'm sorry to hear about your mother - I hope she is feeling better soon.
Old 10th November 2009, 06:20 PM   #299
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Navin; my thoughts go to my own aging parents now, it is hard to see people we love become dependent isn't it, and as Rabbitz said; some of us are not getting any younger rapidly.

No apologies are needed for putting your family first.
Old 11th November 2009, 06:40 AM   #300
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitz View Post
I'm posting a pic of the mid crossover for a MCA15RCY which was an alternative requested by a builder for the 3W Classic speaker.

The woofer crossover would need some work and as it's a 10" woofer, the mid crossover point may want to be lowered a tad to suit. There is a bit of padding of the mid driver to suit the 3W and which means there is mid SPL available.
Rabbitz I could not find the 3W Classic with the MCA15 mid on Troel's website. The only links I found there (on Troel's website) that could be related to what we are doing were these.

Poor Man'
Clarion by SEAS
crossovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.Freeman View Post
Navin, I'm sorry to hear about your mother - I hope she is feeling better soon.
Well she is home but in terrible shape both mentally and physically.

DIY Audio 3-way reference project??Hide this!Advertise here!