Any experiences with DIY reconing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just happened upon a pair of 3-way speakers that were, at one point in the mid-1980's, Pioneer's top-of-the line bookshelf speaker. Quite some "bookshelf" must have been required to hold them -- they weigh about 35 kilograms apiece. These are good speakers -- the beryllium ribbon tweeters alone were sold separately for about $500.

The problem is the 32 centimeter (12 inch) woofers. They have been modified using The Emperor's New Cones, meaning there aren't any. They have intact voice coils and dust caps, but the carbon-graphite cones are history.

I have experience with replacing foam edges but have never done a recone by myself. I doubt I can afford a factory recone. I'd like to try reconing, but I don't want to do anything that involves replacing the voice coils: these woofers have double voice coils and I doubt I could get an exact replacement of the whole cone unit from anyplace but the original manufacturer.

Can I recone "around" the dust caps and cement them into place in the center of the cone? Any recommendations on how to proceed here would be welcome.

As good as the original crossover networks are, I would probably multiamp these speakers anyway, and wouldn't be too concerned about minor sonic differences between the reconed and the original speakers . . . .

Thanks for your advice!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.