Anyone recognise these carbon fibre drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Found these carbon fibre drivers on the CPC website,
cf drivers
They look pretty good for the money, but there's no info. on the manufacturer. Anyone any experience with these or similar drivers? I'm thinking of 4 6.5 inchers for a bipole... but that 10 inch carbon fibre for 40 quid (inc VAT)sounds good value for a modest home made sub.
...and talking of bass, look at this guys home made sub ensemble for sale on ebay :eek:
diy dipole subs
- I'd love to bid but I simply couldn't accomodate all that! I wonder why he's selling?
Ian

Hi Ian...those drivers are generic units built in taiwan.....the place I buy replacement parts has similar stuff here in Canada....ex>>>8" carbon fibre=25 CAN dollars= 10 pounds......I would go for it and buy some for that price and have fun building something...you can always replace the drivers at a later time if they are not what you like...its all about a hobby and enjoying creating something

Cheers!!The DIRT®

Thanks Joe, I guess I'm just surprised to find carbon fibre in cheap drivers - I thought it was a 'high-end' material, some people preferring it to kevlar. I won't expect these drivers to rival the Audax HM170c0s I used to own (or my present aerogel) but the price/performance ratio looks quite good, I especially like the mention of 'natural high-end rolloff' - hopefully makes for simpler x-o. or would that be asking too much on such a cheap driver?
Ian

Add moi to the list please. I lov ethe sound of the Audax Aerogels, I'm even afraid to recommend using the Illusion Audio drivers in my friend's car.

Also, sorry for highjacking the thread, but I came across this thing about felt and a voice coil, for use in cars. Any thoughts?

"Ever since cone speakers have been marketed, it has been normal practice to cover the voice coil with a minimum of at least a felt cloth. This seems to have been forsaken in this design (perhaps for aesthetic reasons), so a word to the wise -- watch how you handle this puppy during the install. Be cautious about chips, especially metal ones, and, above all, be sure to cover this thing with a fine mesh grill cloth to prevent foreign particles from lodging in the voice coil."

Hi Pinkmouse,
At present I have a pair of HM170Z18s coupled with a pair of SEAS 27TFFCs in a 2-way 27litre ported tower otherwise known as an IPL A2mk4. I don't have the gear to really design stuff so I went for a kit. I used to have pair of HM170c0 carbon fibre in another kit and to be honest I think they were as good, though I was running them with a valve amp when I now have ss.
Reading stuff on this thread about bipoles has given me the urge to experiment so I was looking for cheap but good drivers (I'll need 4) to try and make a high sensitivity standmount - no particular application in mind, just for fun and to learn more.
Ian
PS Did you see that guys sub collection on ebay? He even had a TL sub-sub. No-one had bid last time I looked, I can imagine not being able to resist if it goes to the wire and having nowhere to put them...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Ian

I think I might be hanging around Ebay in a couple of days time, just in case, we should talk before we bid tho, we don't want to get into a war!;)

I get most of my drivers from Ivan, he's a great guy, and has very good support if you have any problems. I always imagine his kits sound good too, but I am too much of a tweeker to buy someones else's design.

If you have not noticed much improvement changing from the CF drivers to the aerogel, you might want to look at your box design, the HDA drivers are very sensitive to sound reflected off the back wall of the box coming back through the cone because it is so light. If you can tweek your box so this can't happen you may see a great improvement.

BTW, how on earth do you ever find anything on the Farnell website? Most of the time I just give up and order from RS, as the search and navigation is so bad!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Ian J said:
Pinkmouse,
I tried to email you directly yesterday concerning the ebay thing (amongst others), did you get it?
Ian

Not yet, email is a bit flakey at the moment, someone keeps making dictionary attacks, (whatever they are:scratch: ), on my isp and everything is a bit slow and unpredictable.

I decided not to go for the auction, too broke and too many other projects on the go at the moment, so if you go for them, good luck;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.