Effect of changing C but not L in higher order xovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When tweeking a higher order xover, what is the effect of changing only C and not L in a tweeter circuit? I know there are formulas for determining the values of each component. Is there a means to evaluate what changes in value of one component might have on the overall filter action? Must both C and L be changed? Say I have a slight dip in response at 2k that I believe can be raised by slightly lowering the corner of the tweeter filter. If I add a small cap in parallel without adjusting the inductor in a 2nd order xover, will that be bad? Will it move the corner of the filter or simply goof up the slope or something else? Is there any way to predict how much the response might change for a given amount of added C? Should I take the trouble to change the inductor proportionately? Tougher to do that!

Peace,
Tom E

Often wondered that myself!

By changing values, there is always a different sound, dunno about you but I always have trouble putting a finger on 'what just happened to that response'! A prog that could predict this would help alot.

I think I know what I just heard, but never really sure why!:whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.