Audio Nirvana 6.5" and notch filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Audio Nirvana 6.5" and notch filters

Warning: I am a newb when it comes to speaker building. I just purchased a pair of Audio Nirvana super cast frames in 6.5" size. I did not use David's box plans as it seemed that the driver would have been underdamped. I designed my own box that was about 2/3's the size with a 3" port tube that is 6" long. I removed the tube to see what it would sound like if it were closer to his box design which confirmed my suspicions. Here is the rub, I have noticed that the response around 5-6K is very bright. Now in my simple way of thinking this would have nothing to do with my deviation from his box plans. I don't have an equalizer on my normal stereo so I have been using WinAMP. I have cut the 6K band by about 6db and the 3K about 3db and the 12K about 3db and that seems to 'tame the beast'. So I was contemplating a notch filter that would center around the 6K range but have also been reading about zobel filters that might help in impedance matching. But to be honest I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions? I thought the idea behind fullrange speakers was the simplicity (put em in a box and wire them up). I am discovering that it isn't quite that simple.

By the way the speakers do sound pretty awesome, very transparent, good imaging, just don't like the harshness that gets added as a result of the 'brightness'. Of course they don't compare with my Tannoy D900's but I am planning on selling those to fund several more speaker projects.

If this is the freq response, it's got a nasty peak, I'd try a notch filter: http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an6.5superspecs.jpg

But the whole treble range is also elevated, which may sound 'very transparent' but will be tiring after a while.
A BSC filter should help with this.

I'd put a series inductor for BSC first, & then deal with the peak - the notch may not need to be so deep if the BSC filter has cut the level already

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.