dBX 223XL vs Behringer CX3400 active XO?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you mean sound okay?

I have the DCX2496 and it sounds great with my drivers (TD12S, PHL1160, Neopro5i). Almost picked up a BSS omnidrive for just over $1K but I didnt pull the trigger.

Its unmodded too, Im about to mod one of my DCXs to just see if there is a difference others talk about ( subjective one and measured difference). I suspect its more of a mole hill then a mountain in terms of differences.

Good point Augerpro, if sound is off I can hear that hiss but Im always playing music or movies so hiss is a moot point with me.

I have tried to find any other differences and even at reference levels it is just fine. The benefits I gain from the DCX outweigh any possible SQ issues that I have not found in over a year.

Im still trying to find those differences though because many threads, etc talk about them.

Thanks.
It seems to me the CX is my best and least cost option.

I had read a few threads where the DCX needed expensive mods to remedy perceived problems. I think one of those problems was hiss, but from your comments, its not an issue. It just seemed a bit strange that the required(?) mods would cost more than the DCX itself.

ASSuming the CX and DCX share a lot of common components/circuitry, I guess this prompted my post.

The CX3400 has a lot less functionality then the DCX2496. If the CX fits your requirements then maybe you should try it first, to me its more of a Subwoofer crossover device since it lacks the higher order crossover functionality that the DCX offers.

I have two mod options, one is $450 and and is $400 ( I think ) and yes they cost more then the device itself. I think you can do them cheaper if you buy all the individual parts. Those costs above are for me to ship the unit somewhere in the US and get it modded.

Does it improve it? From everything I read that is a Subjective yes :D but I have yet to see measurements to prove it actually does improve SQ.

Removing the Hiss when there is no sound is meaningless to me since I do not run audio systems with no sound ;)

My CX3400 got stolen recently, I got the last laugh tho, as after 2 year in use the left channel stopped working and in the year after that the right channel became ever more crappy (knobs influencing each other whilst they shouldn't).

In short I've to buy a new one but would highly consider to buy something better, like the DBX or the DCX2496 because the CX3400 is cheapest on the short turn but likely not the cheapest on the long run.

Best regards Johan

doug20,

yes, the CX does not have shelving or a notch filter that I believe the DCX does, and its fixed at 24dB LR2, whereas the DCX has more slopes, up to 48dB?

But its a lot cheaper and I think I could build shelving and notch filters with passive components onto the tweeter/FR? Bi-amped, with FR or tweeter pads etc.

I downloaded both CX & DCX manuals, and yes the DCX does have a lot more 'grunt'.

As a total noob to active bi-amped OB systems....my analogy is that its like me trying to climb Everest! Not gonna happen, but maybe..one hill at a time.

The XLR/Cannon balanced connectors are a worry. My CD and amp are unbalanced RCA. So I also need to buy a XLR preamp and 2 XLR amps. I don't want to use XLR/RCA converters.

Any ideas for a budget system? please.

Johan,

yes I would buy a DCX, but the price is way too high for me. Re your stolen CX, it seems like it has a design issue that the knobs went crappy so soon?

ZilchLab said:
Yer not doing apples to apples here. CX3400 is analog, I do believe.

The question was CX vs dBX, not DCX. Different companies.

Zilch, Im aware that dbx is a different company. His original post had this question "but the DCX2496 is almost affordable yet needs tweaks to sound ok?"

I posted saying that I do not believe it needs tweaks but I will be testing the tweaks anyways.

and if we are talking about active crossovers for main speakers I wouldn't use anything less then the DCX as I posted before the CX is a subwoofer x-over device IMO.

Both the CX3400 and dbx 223XL are analog multi-way crossovers. The Behringer equivalent to the dbx is actually the even less expensive CX2310. None of these are subwoofer crossovers, per se, and though they may be used for that purpose, there are better options for subs only.

As soon as we step into the digital realm, the game changes, and there are plenty of enthusiasts who contend that, while they offer considerably more versatility, until moving into higher-end digitals, their sonic quality is no match for even these entry level analog units....

http://www.dbxpro.com/223XL/223XL.php

I thought that the main issue with the Behringer units is the "servo balanced" inputs and outputs (both analogue and digital). They use a combination of cheap opamps (JRC4580) that detect the unbalanced/balanced connection and route the circuit appropriately, this makes the units very flexible connectivity wise but doesn't do much for the quality of the sound.

A diagram from the audiosmile site:

http://www.audiosmile.co.uk/images/audiosmile/deq-output.jpg

Iv'e heard that DBX also use the JRC4580 throughout their circuits, can't confirm that though.

Another issue in the analogue units is the accuracy of the multi-gang pots that are used.

col.

col said:
I thought that the main issue with the Behringer units is the "servo balanced" inputs and outputs (both analogue and digital). They use a combination of cheap opamps (JRC4580) that detect the unbalanced/balanced connection and route the circuit appropriately, this makes the units very flexible connectivity wise but doesn't do much for the quality of the sound.

A diagram from the audiosmile site:

http://www.audiosmile.co.uk/images/audiosmile/deq-output.jpg

Iv'e heard that DBX also use the JRC4580 throughout their circuits, can't confirm that though.

Another issue in the analogue units is the accuracy of the multi-gang pots that are used.

col.

The question would be its audibility. That is all that matters to me.

I will be comparing though in the future. Its one of many projects.

grantnsw said:
Hi ,
Oops, I originally meant Behringer CX2310 / CX3400 / DCX2496, versus dBX , DEQX or BSS OmniDrive.
That's a massive range in price and capability. A CX2310 is about $170, where a DEQX starts near $4k.

The DCX is very good. Buy one, use it and experiment, and if you decide to tweak the analogue later, it's not too hard or expensive.

No experience with SW solutions, so no comments.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Zilch this is OZ, you can just about double US prices here, although I got my CX 2310's for $99= each ( on sale; scratch & dent ) they are a good starting point and up until the last move I was very happy with them.
But; after the last move I seem to have an earth hum I cant get rid of, it doesn't effect the music but a background noise is annoying when music isn't playing.
Definitely NOT a hiss, and it appears in both the mid-bass and woofers

That said the benefits are great and the price can't be beaten, same price as 2 cartons of beer and last a lot longer

Regards
Ted

grantnsw said:
doug20,

yes, the CX does not have shelving or a notch filter that I believe the DCX does, and its fixed at 24dB LR2, whereas the DCX has more slopes, up to 48dB?

But its a lot cheaper and I think I could build shelving and notch filters with passive components onto the tweeter/FR? Bi-amped, with FR or tweeter pads etc.

I downloaded both CX & DCX manuals, and yes the DCX does have a lot more 'grunt'.

As a total noob to active bi-amped OB systems....my analogy is that its like me trying to climb Everest! Not gonna happen, but maybe..one hill at a time.

The XLR/Cannon balanced connectors are a worry. My CD and amp are unbalanced RCA. So I also need to buy a XLR preamp and 2 XLR amps. I don't want to use XLR/RCA converters.

Any ideas for a budget system? please.

Johan,

yes I would buy a DCX, but the price is way too high for me. Re your stolen CX, it seems like it has a design issue that the knobs went crappy so soon?

The CX3400 uses LR4 (24db/octave) not LR2 which is 12bd/octave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.