Sources of distortion in ribbon loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are the sources of distortion in ribbon loudspeakers, whether they be significant or insignificant. Are these questions / statements accurate? If they are incorrect or incomplete, I would much appreciate some feedback.

Longitudinal waves are the source of translation (displacement) within the system.

Are transverse waves the source of distortion in the ribbon element itself? If so, are there any other mechanisms within the ribbon element that cause distortion?

As far as I understand, the inductance of a ribbon is very low, thus EMF will not be a significant source of distortion, removing the need for shorting rings that are very popular in dynamic cone drivers.

The uniformity of the magnetic field is likely to be a primary source of distortion. Non-linear motor force should be the same mechanism that causes distortion in subwoofer drivers.

The linearity of the spring force is likely to be a primary source of distortion (air-spring, mechanical reactive force). Is there a way to calculate the linearity of the mechanical reactive force?

The distance between the edge of the ribbon and the magnet allows air to pass. I believe the circumstances may be analogous to hydraulics (damping). I'm not sure what distortion mechanisms would arise because of this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.