ARTA calibration help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just downloaded ARTA to check and was going through the calibration but I'm having a problem. This is on a laptop using the MAudio Firewire 410. At step 1.5.2 for calibrating the inputs, I have the left output looped back to the left input but when I run the generator the bar graph at the bottom doesn't show anything, so I don't know if the input is clipping. The soundcard shows both and input and output signal, confirmed the output with a voltmeter, and doing the same loopback in SE works as expected. Anyone know why the graph isn't showing anything?

When I used ARTA for the first time I had to double check settings and go through my setup a few times before I had everything setup right - both the soundcard settings (turning on "Mic Boost" for instance) and the physical setup. There was a little bit of a learning curve, but not too rough, not nearly as tough as Sound Easy, for instance.

Now, I love it, and no more headaches. It's fast and easy to use, once it's setup :) Once I figured ARTA out, I gave up trying to get good measurements in LspCAD or Speaker Workshop, because ARTA seemed so much more easy and reliable. The features like the automatic measurement splicing for low + high freqs. and the distortion testing are wonderful to have available in a free version.

Is your laptop's built in sound card disabled in the BIOS?

What happens if you try to do a measurement w/o calibration?

I tried to use an external M-Audio USB soundcard (Transit?) and I got inconsistent results with each program I tried. I bought the cheapest SB Audigy 4 soundcard I could find, and it's working great with all the programs I've tried so far. I had problems with a few different sound cards, I tried a bunch of different drivers too - so many headaches, but now with the cheap new card, it just works - I was about to pull my hair out before that :bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.