Possible Summer Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I would love to build a set of bookshelf speakers just for fun. I think I have the tweeter picked out, looks interesting and Zaph really liked it. It is the SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome tweeter. It is a new take on the ring radiator from SB. The woofer is going to be the SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-8. I am targeting a crossover frequency ~2100Hz and 24dB slopes. Anything more than that I need help with, which is why I am coming here. Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated.

A crossover around 1800-2000Hz will work well. I wouldn't want to go too low with that tweeter to make sure that the 2nd harmonic will not be a problem, although a highish 2nd harmonic with low 3rd, 4th, and 5th should not be very offensive.

I would aim for 4th order acoustic slopes. This may require a little extra work with the woofer due to the cone breakup mode, but looking at the distortion graphs, breakup distortion isn't a problem until about 4kHz, and is dominated by 2nd harmonic, so the hurdle will be achieving the right slope for a flat response.

Good luck with your project, this driver combo should make for an interesting and very good sounding speaker if done correctly.

DcibeL said:
A crossover around 1800-2000Hz will work well. I wouldn't want to go too low with that tweeter to make sure that the 2nd harmonic will not be a problem, although a highish 2nd harmonic with low 3rd, 4th, and 5th should not be very offensive.

I would aim for 4th order acoustic slopes. This may require a little extra work with the woofer due to the cone breakup mode, but looking at the distortion graphs, breakup distortion isn't a problem until about 4kHz, and is dominated by 2nd harmonic, so the hurdle will be achieving the right slope for a flat response.

Good luck with your project, this driver combo should make for an interesting and very good sounding speaker if done correctly.

How about 4th order slopes on the high and low pass at 2k. I wish Zaph had the impedance plots so I could see what the impedances are around the crossover frequency to help with calculation. Also, do you think any filters will be needed for the design? Lastly, one of the members on htguid who has used the SB drivers extensively has said the phase of the tweeter will be ~10 degrees off of that of the woofer. How would I compensate for this?

Zaph includes impedance on the frequency response graphs, however the resolution is really not very good to use for calculations. You can either trace the impedance from the datasheet, or wait until you have the drivers in your hands and measure it yourself.

It is clear to me that perhaps you have not embarked in crossover design previous to this project. I would advise reading through the above links I posted, as well as looking through the documentation for the spreadsheet applications mentioned in those documents. Most of the FRD tools, although somewhat unintuitive, have fairly well written documentation explaining each function of the application.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.