Compact bookshelf design recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm pretty new to speaker building, but I'm looking to build a set of bookshelfs for my computer, size is important and I would like it to be as small as possible.

I live in Australia so that may limit me on some driver choices. Budget would be about $250 dollars and I'm willing to pair the speakers with a small subwoofer (recommendations)?

I'm pretty familiar with electronics so wireing, building will not be a problem.

I plan on powering these with a tamp, although i could design my own amp...... but thats another thread.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kenny12 said:
hm.. say around 20cm tall and 15cm wide

mFonken is about 29x17, uFonken 22x13

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html

The 2 smaller ones

fonken-family.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
R-Carpenter said:
You could build something around this driver.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-358
With a simple notch and a mild BSC they sound clean and go surprisingly low for it's size.

It would work sealed in the same size box as the mFonken, but with a 2 dB peak at ~150 Hz. Given desktop use that would probably get exaggrated. And it would need 4x the power over the mFonken for the same levels. The drivers are about half as much thou (both still well less than his budget -- at least in North America). I know the mFonken driver is available in Oz, and making the driver a lot better is pretty well documented.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
R-Carpenter said:
Hmmmm, what about putting 4 of Daytons per side at approximately $200 total? It would give you much higher efficiency, power handling and lower distortions. Also a line array vertical of axis response character. I'd go ported as well.
Just an idea.

He is looking for a box that is smaller than a single one will fit in...

Mark Audio CHR-70 & Alpair 6 would probably fit the bill box size wise. About the same efficiency as the Dayton.

dave

Kenny12 asked for a bookshelf for computer, 15cm x 20cm.
I admit I cannot understand why power should be an issue.

For my Alpair 6 Bass Reflex (6.5 litre, which does not fit the size requirement), we have done listening in a room 5m x 8m, and we did not feel any lack of loudness.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144211

Japanese have small appartments. What they are doing with the Alpair 5 in IMHO of special relevance in this particular case.

I admittedly am not speaker expert, but I HAVE built various speakers using Fostex (MLTL), Jordan (Sphere), and Alpair (BR). For me personally, the Jordans and the Alpairs have their magic that is no comparison to Fostexes. But that is a very personal opinion. You just need to listen to an Alpair to find out.

We have a speaker expert in our DIY group with over 20 years speaker DIY experience. He is ordering 6 of our Alpair6 BR.

Patrick

PS
I am not selling any speakers.
And I have no commercial interest whatsoever in MarkAudio.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EUVL said:
Fostex (MLTL), Jordan (Sphere), and Alpair (BR). For me personally, the Jordans and the Alpairs have their magic that is no comparison to Fostexes.

My Fostex are leagues ahead of the stock ones (which i have trouble listening to). The current contruction set of JX92 i found intolerable, i like my JX150. I have Alpair 5, 6, and 10 here. Alpair 6 should go into a small enuff cabinet to suit -- CHR-70 certainly will.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.