Driver Burn IN and Aging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We all know that drivers can go through some parameter changes when first used. But what about over a long time?
About 10 years ago I built an MTM using 4 of the well known Vifa P13WH. These speakers never got much use often going unplayed for a year at a time. Recently I decomissioned them to make some prototypes. After some stange results I measured them and the Fs was in the 150 to 160Hz range vs 65 to 70. I've run them overnight with a low frequency and only had maybe a 10 Hz drop.

Does anybody have suggestions as to what I might do? Or they destined to be midrangers forever.

Just some observations, no direct experience with such a dramatic parameter shift. First, the Vifa woofers' Fs usually measured a bit higher than spec, 20% or so, IIRC. Drivers with rubber surrounds can have a strong temperature dependence, and while the rubber may look good, it can harden over time. Usually the surround doesn't dominate on suspension stiffness, though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.