Speaker for ROCK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've been around for quite some time to find a decent floorstanding speaker to listen to Rock and quite often Hip-Hop with my young kids.

What I'm aiming for is a speaker with the kind of guts that hits you solid in the chest when the bass hits 50-70Hz, I do not want a sub so my idea is to get a pro driver maybe something like the Eminence Delta 12LTA.

I would prefer a 2 way for simplicity but if needed a 3 way would do.

My room is roughly 350 square feet. (25 x 13)

I have access to drivers from Solen and Eminence from q-components in Ontario, Canada.

My budget would be about 500 (400 USD) for the drivers, can this be done...

Thanks for any recommendation.

Eric

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Eric,

Too bad you don't live any closer. I have just what you need sitting in my basement :)

Actually you might wish to consider a 15" 3 way. The guys at q components are good. Maybe you tell them what you are looking for and see if they have ideas.

Attachments

• img_0364.jpg
    img_0364.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,471
I forget which Eminence model it is, but there's a 15" with an 80 oz magnet that's around 99 dB efficient... those will thump. Add Eminence or Selenium compression horns and drivers, and an Eminence or DIY crossover.

That roughly describes my party speakers... 15" Eminence, titanium Eminence driver on a vintage JBL horn with acoustic lens (looks like louvers). Crossover is vintage Altec 1209, recapped with nice caps from Solen. I put a stop/brake lamp bulb in series with the tweeter for protection. They're normally run with 18" subwoofers, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded full-range. Porting the cabinet just required two holes in the 3/4" plywood, no ducts. Assuming I got the calculations right... I don't think I was too concerned since they're normally crossed-over well above where the ports kick in.

Maybe this summer I'll actually show up for the Vancouver Island diyaudio meet, and bring these abominations and a Contrabass.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, it looks very expensive to built as a DIY project so I looked on e-bay ans saw those from Mackie (LOUD technologies) which have a good name in the industry.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TAPCO-MACKIE-TH-...14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

Do these look like a good deal ?

I just wonder about the mids, crossing over from a 15 inches to a compression horn driver seems like pushing it ?

Thanks,
Eric

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
e_fortier said:
Do these look like a good deal ?

For what they do, yes.

I just wonder about the mids, crossing over from a 15 inches to a compression horn driver seems like pushing it ?

Yes, with a 3khz XO there will be a lot of cone break-up from a 15". Those are made for PA use and may be just fine for what you need. They are not for critical listening though.

Hi,

Here is the proposed design by q-components;

Driver ;

LF : McBride VHP1200 (made by Eminence for Q-Components) 12 inches woofer which will thump more than the Eminence Beta series.

HF: Bullet tweeter, model Eminence APT150

XO will be the ones from Eminence model PXB2:3.5 which is 12db/oct for the woofer and 18db/oct for the tweeter XO at 3.5KHz, XO comes with bulbs to protect the tweeter. Eric at Q-Components did a freqency sweep and the woofer goes up to 4KHz +- 1db.

Vented cabinet to be 3.6 cubic feet with f3 = 43Hz and f9 at 33Hz (why was he telling me about f9...)

Considering the price of the drivers (60 for woofer and 50 for the APT I think I should add a mid or maybe a PSD2002 (compression horn driver) crossed at around 1.6KHz...does did make any sense.

So, any comments before I place my order...

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Hi Eric,

I think if they offered you a 3.6 cu ft enclosure, a 12" woofer, a bullet tweeter and a premade 3.5 KHz XO we might want to rethink this. 3.5K is too high for a 12" unless your ears are not sensitive to cone break-up.

I don't have much time tonight as hockey dominates this time of year but if you are going 3 way, you might as well go for a 15", a 6" and a bullet. Problem is the XO. You might wish to look for a kit with the wiring already figured out. Either that or revert to the idea of the Tapco Mackie's. I hate to say it being a speakerholic but they are starting to look good.

Hi,

It is kinda of big enclosure for a single 12 inch driver, my HT sub is only 1 cu ft.

The problem with the Mackie is that the price is PER unit therefore about 800 CDN for a pair.

Is there any kit available with pro drivers ??

This is not looking very good except so far unless I go with a compression horn tweeter XO at about 1.6KHz.

Thanks for the helps guys.

Regards,
Eric

Hi,

How about using a pair of FE206E for the mid and HF, I have a pair sitting at home or a pair of JBL LE8TH (also sitting at home) that nobody bought on this forum.

I'm not to thrilled about OB but what about putting these drivers in a sealed enclosure with a HPF at about 300Hz. I can not verify if the Xmax of the 206E would be exceeded, I have no software for this.

For bass I think I would stick to my original idea of Eminence Delta 12LTA or Delta 15LFA.

Does this sound like a good idea.

It may seem that I'm changing my mind but all I want is a pair of efficient speaker that will produce a tight bass (thump) with nice mids and Highs. I always find that PA speakers only have bass and highs, the mid always seems like they are missing .

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
Eric

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
e_fortier said:
Hi,

For bass I think I would stick to my original idea of Eminence Delta 12LTA or Delta 15LFA.

Does this sound like a good idea.

Dont know those, but I think the Delta12LTA, as you call it, is BETA 12LTA

Beta12LTA and Delta12LFA are totally different drivers

Beta12LTA is a widerange with whizzer cone and said to be ok
Whether its good fore loud SPL I cant say
But I doubt it will have the chest pounding bass you ask fore

But I would maybe try it in a 2.5way
That would need 2x Beta12LTA each side, and some kind of tweeter
maybe even your Fostex 8" crossed relatively high
2.5way means that both woofer play the same bass, but one is crossed with a single series coil somewhere around 500hz fore this

But how to make the crossover ?

Have had an idea with 4x Beta8 with a tweeter in 2.5way, but probably no chest pounding from that one neither
Though someone said here that the Beta8 sound nice even with no xo
Which means that it might be quite easy to cross it to a cheap PA tweeter

Or maybe something with a real tough big fullrange, but they cost money, but maybe P.Audio have something :rolleyes:

Hi,

You said; Beta12LTA and Delta12LFA are totally different drivers

You are correct I meant to write Delta 12LFA.

Do you think I can get the chest pounding bass feeling with a single Delta 12LFA or 15LFA per cabinet.

I want to avoid if possible using 2 woofer per cabinet because I need 8 ohm load (my Class D amp is in bridge mode, it is a TDA8920BTH from Philips that I bought at Connexelectric.)

Thanks again for the help ;-)

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.