New Polk Monitor 10 Configuration - HELP!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two pair of Monitor 10's with the peerless tweeter. I am thinking about building a new cabinet style and was wondering ig any have tried doing this.

I want a very small footprint, less than 1 square foot. The internal volume of a stock cabinet is ~ 2.2 cubic feet. I was thinking of doing a tower style with a mid tweeter mid bass radiator configuration. I don't want it to be any more than 8-9 inches deep.

Since this is a PR system, would there be any loss in performance if I keep the internal volume the same, use the same drivers and crossover?

This will probably be the only way that I can keep these speakers. The wife wants me to downsize my collection. I plan on doing that, just build new, slim cabinets!!!

Any help would be appreciated. I don'twant to het rid of these classics and someday be able to build a better original cabinet it I need to.

Thanks in advance.

b'roo

Ron, the only problem with a man cave is we just recently moved to a smaller place and my 'cave is now transformed into an office. She let me set up a pretty nice system with my Sony SS M7's, but that is about all.

My thoughts were to restore a 7.1 home theater where I had an all Polk System. It was in a large room so the 'big boxes' she called just won't fly. She will allow the SDA 1c up front, teo monitor 7's behind the screen, but the monitor 10's just stick out into the room to far for her taste (and mine). I am wanting to create more of a column that is less noticable and has a sleeker profile.

My problem is will it sound as good (or better) in a MTMPR configuration.

I don't particularlly want to redesign the xover. i really don't have those skills. If I just use the existing xover, will there me much difference. I have bene told the RT 11t'sse the same crossover as the 10's. They are a narrow baffle and are often praised for their sonic qualities.

If i was to modify the crossover, what would it take. I am pretty handy with an iron and can change caps with ease.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used to love my Polk 7 and thought of ways to make new modern enclosures for them but then discovered around 1990 that they weren't that great relatively speaking. I had thought of making a taller slimmer cabinet to bring up the tweeter center, but still deep enough to mount the passive radiator. But if you're going to go to all the trouble, why not just make complete new speakers? (Don't fix what ain't broke!) Have you seen what Zaph has done in the bargain dept?

In a similar vein, I did modify these old Bostons into what I call the Loudfreekers. Can you get away with this?

Attachments

• loudfreeker small.jpg
    loudfreeker small.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.