Help needed: How do I fix a "pushed in" dust cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I just received an 8" cone driver that I bought on Ebay. Unfortunately the driver was not packed sufficiently, so the "dust cap" (the center part of the cone) has been "pushed in".

The drivers is a Ciare 8.50 NDMR with a paper cone

Can this be fixed, and how do I do it?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Best regards
Peter

Try the vacuum cleaner idea first.
You will need a hose attachment that is just slightly larger than the dust cap.

1. With vacuum cleaner OFF, place hose over dustcap and hold against the cone.
Make sure you hold the hose still

2. Turn vacuum ON for a few seconds and turn OFF again
DO NOT remove the hose until the vacuum cleaner has stopped.

3. Look and see if the dustcap has been sucked out.

If it is still pushed in, then repeat but leave the vacuum cleaner ON for a bit longer than the first time.

If you still get no joy, then make a hole.

Cheers,

Alex

a guy told me

One time the stereo salesman told me to go ahead and buy those demo speakers with the pushed in dust caps. He said don't worry, drip some candle wax onto the dustcap and put a string in. Wait for it to dry and pull the string and the dust cap will come out.

Then just peel the wax off.

I never tried it but it seemed reasonable at the time.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've mostly fixed dented dust caps and dome tweeters by sticking tape and pulling, gently massaging, and even gentle sucking (like giving it a kiss - laugh away!). There are special silicone suction cups with vacuum fittings used in the packaging industry that could be used (free samples are available), and I also like the candle wax and thread idea. (Maybe caulk or glue would be better? And if it leaves a residue, the cap could be treated with liquid latex or similar cone treatment.) But often small creases remain, so you might work out a partial refund with the sender.

If all else fails, and you can't stand the appearance, you might even cut out the cap and replace it with a new, slightly bigger one. A drag, but at least you don't have to look at the creases any more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.