Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

I recently purchased an HP laptop expressly for running audio design programs that won't work on a Mac. While playing with the LeCleac'h spreadsheet, I can't get the flare to "double back" to obtain a 360º profile. It just expands ever wider with length. Also is there a way to reduce the increment along the y-axis to a more useable amount like 5mm or 10mm? I sure could use a tutorial on how to manipulate this thing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

In regard to the doubling back of this profile, it seems quite difficult to build. Would it work nearly as well if doubled back just far enough to clip in a circular cross section length of foam, dia. as necessary for the particular horn and length to suit the perimeter? I was thinking about 200 - 220 degees of return.
jamikl

Hello Sannax,

Has anyone done measurements and compared 90, 180, 270 and 360 roll back? If done, please guide me in the right direction :)

A partial answer is given in the following message from Jack:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/140190-jean-michel-lecleach-horns-102.html#post2549086

see also the attached directivity maps
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...30125-jean-michel-lecleach-horns-rollback.png

Greater is the angle of the roll-back and smaller is the level of the reflected energy from mouth to throat in the low frequency part of the response of the horn.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hello,

The last version of the spreadsheet for the calculation of axisymetrical Le Cléac'h horns is 2007.

You can download it at:

http://forums.melaudia.net/attachment.php?aid=2310

(Thanks to the Melaudia association).

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hi .. two inquiries please?
What is the latest JMMLC spreadsheet? Mine is 2000.
How do i get an accurate graph printout of profile? Hand plotting is not the answer for what I am doing and I don't speak AutoCad.
Thanks, Zene

Hello Soongsc,

Do you mean the quasi cylindrical waves horns version or other one like the Iwata-JMLC or the E-JMLC ...?

The quasi cylindrical version is unchanged from the version you can download on Nicolas Davidenko's website ("audio bricolos").

For the other more complex shapes, each one of the spreadsheets for the calculation of non axisymetrical horns (Iwata-JMLC ; E-JMLC; ...) weights more than 100Mo. I cannot send them by email.

Also, their ergonomy is not very good (no exporting in a format useful for a CNC machine).

But eventually, if there is sufficient interest I can arrange the downloading of the Iwata-JMLC spreadsheet (or another one) for a limited time (7 days) on a facility I have for the disposal of large files.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

An English one! Great! Is there one for the non-axisymetrical one as well?

Last edited:
Guys ... I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can (i.e, reading thread) but did not find if the throat angle of the horn design was full or half. My JBL 2420 is 9.2 deg total and I have to go to an Exp horn (T=1) to get the angle even close. A ref to post would be nice, too. I'm sure it was covered.

While here, do I still use the design Fc to be 1 octave below the desired crossover point?
Thanks, Zene

Should be no problem to choose your preferred T when you are using Jean-Michels spreadsheet. Just choose 4,6 degree angle and your preferred Fc.

Lars ... thanks. I didn't have the 2007 spreadsheet to do throat angles when I wrote that. I'm feeling much better now.
While I'm here good old Romy mentioned that he thought the Le Cleac'h roll was less effective at low frequencies: GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - Why I do not like La-horns. The tomatoes? If so sure cuts the diameter down a bunch. 30" plus does get cumbersome if trying to turn. Any one have more ideas on this?
Zene

Romy probably has the problems within himself so we shouldn´t mind. Contrary to what he says the horns are most effective downwards with the rollback. Spherical seems to be not far from LeCleach when T=0 but soundwise I have no idea.

I am just to try my 2420(Ti dias) with Auto-Tech JMLC-1000. Will report back when measured and listened to. Will of course add a supertweeter on top. Hopefully the lower sensitivity 2405s will be enough to add the topend sparkle needed. Below is 2441 with 200Hz JMLC(25").

This a simmed comparision of a 200Hz, 90 and a 180 degree, grey is full rollback.

Don´t mind the hf-fall it is just an unsuitable driver.

Attachments

• LC90180.PNG
    LC90180.PNG
    26.5 KB · Views: 627
Last edited: