Hi-End and Hi-Efficency loudspeakers (horn + onken)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I try to work with arta but I have to study it.

In hobby box it is simple.
194172d1288377024-hi-end-hi-efficency-loudspeakers-horn-onken-mls.jpg

Do you guys ever measure outside (gated or groundplane for eg) gating indoors below 800 hz is very difficult for accuracy , even if you have the speaker raised 1-2 M off the floor and a pretty large room...

Ok sorry , i see were you have Helmuth ......

Last edited:
There is no big differences in the high frequency using 2, 5 or 20 msec.

That can be caused by the reflections on the baffle. I can see improvement with the 2 msec

Try now and measure with the microphone 10cm away from the tweeter and one 10cm away of the woofer and measure with about 3msec and 20msec.

and overlay them in a window.

When they are much more flat then you have to improve the shape of the baffle.

With this way of measurement (gating) you can tweak your design to the highest level.:cool:

Post a waterfall diagram looks very colour full in arta.:).

clic here.

Measure also a step-response waterfall.

The spec of the 15 inch woofer aso shows a bit ragged response in the d range like your measurements show. This can mean you have to tweak the cone of your woofer.

Make cuts and place damping lines like scanspeak does. To break cone resonance.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• picto.JPG
    picto.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Helmuth, sorry I didnt post yet but you have found out how to do it. :cool:

Do you guys ever measure outside (gated or groundplane for eg) gating indoors below 800 hz is very difficult for accuracy , even if you have the speaker raised 1-2 M off the floor and a pretty large room...

Ok sorry , i see were you have Helmuth ......

Unfortunately, outside is a huge hassle for me. No open fields close by. My room is pretty well treated though and I also have 4" thick portable panels to place behind and below the speaker to help with reflections. I can get out to 6ms so that puts the response below 800Hz. For the lower frequencies, I just measure at 1 or 2 cm from the woofer then splice back to the tweeter measurements.

Hi Andrea

These plots are very nice. The ribbon shout perform better IMO The woofer is much better then I aspected. So or you have to improve the baffle or tread the room.

I measured my speaker the living-room microphone 30cm from DUT with arta. With water fall.

I use a audigy 24bit sound card and measure up to 30kHz. Arta falls off above 20kHz measure flat up to 28kHz that will indicate a rise above 20kHz and that the tweeter will reach 30kHz.

Also shows it the behringer is near flat above 20kHz.

and one of the same measurement 1/24 smoothing 66msec gate.

Attachments

• mjn br 30cm arta binnen.JPG
    mjn br 30cm arta binnen.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 542
  • BR arta 30cm.JPG
    BR arta 30cm.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 541
  • 30cm bnnen 66msec gate 1-24 smoothing.JPG
    30cm bnnen 66msec gate 1-24 smoothing.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Like original Onken I have mounted the woofer with internal flange.

This allow an acoustic centers aligned but it can create also some strange reflections.

My firts idea is to make the baffle of the onken direct left and right of the woofer angled 45degrees or so. also angled on the top of the baffle

And Place the onken output on the backside it are low frequency's with omni behaivour and you will have more profit off room gain and stretch the low end.

Hi Andrea

These plots are very nice. The ribbon shout perform better IMO The woofer is much better then I aspected. So or you have to improve the baffle or tread the room.

I measured my speaker the living-room microphone 30cm from DUT with arta. With water fall.

I use a audigy 24bit sound card and measure up to 30kHz. Arta falls off above 20kHz measure flat up to 28kHz that will indicate a rise above 20kHz and that the tweeter will reach 30kHz.

Also shows it the behringer is near flat above 20kHz.

and one of the same measurement 1/24 smoothing 66msec gate.

To compare the same box same soundcard same mic and preamp same postion and other software with hbx v6.

soundcard calibrated input to output flat response and fase.Other two through loudspeaker class d amp and mic-amp.
194480d1288531424-hi-end-hi-efficency-loudspeakers-horn-onken-short.jpg

194503d1288542554-hi-end-hi-efficency-loudspeakers-horn-onken-br-arta-30cm.jpg
194502d1288542501-hi-end-hi-efficency-loudspeakers-horn-onken-mjn-br-30cm-arta-binnen.jpg

Attachments

• 30cm bnnen hbx v6 soundcard.JPG
    30cm bnnen hbx v6 soundcard.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 30cm bnnen hbx v6 waterval.JPG
    30cm bnnen hbx v6 waterval.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 30cm bnnen hbx v6.JPG
    30cm bnnen hbx v6.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.