coffee, a blowtorch and TQWP's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so I built these speakers about six years ago. until last week I had not put any sort of finish on them. after talking with an artist friend of mine( scott bye http://sculpturebyescott.com/ ) I decided to let him go to town on them with a blowtorch and instant coffee. here is the result. I think they turned out well and could not be happier with them. the speaker design is andy g's(thank you for sending me the plans) I love the way they sound. I do not claim to be a wood worker or an audiophile, just a fan of both. so let me know what you think.

Jeremy

I remember doing that. Many moons ago I took the same torch as the artist, put a fan type diverter on the end so the flame was spread out more and took it to a large set of pine boxes I had built around a 2X4 frame. I then sanded and oiled them. I didn't use coffee and they sure didn't look as nice as those but I was very pleased with the effect nonetheless. Glad to see that old is new again. Those look great.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Very cool... not laidback at all :)

dave

Attachments

• coffee-noil-tqwt-s.jpg
    coffee-noil-tqwt-s.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 389
BlueWizard said:
OK, I get the Blow Torch part, but where does the coffee come in?

Sweet looking speakers, by the way.

Steve/bluewizard

we mixed instant coffee with a little water and painted it on the enclosures which are made from 3/4 mdf. so the brownish-red color you see is the result of the coffee. after the coffee dried we put 2 coats of high closs clear polyurethane on them. you can see in one of the pics we let it drip and run down the back of one of the enclosures.

Woodburnt pipes

I once found a rather lengthy and detailed explanation on how to build a set of those pipes (the woodburnt ones above). Now all I can find is the one at partsexpress.com. This one doesn't give all of the critical details for build. Does any body know where a link is to build these? (other than partsexpress) I am considering trying to create a pair with the P17WJ00 and MDT33.
Thank you,
Jeff
millerjeff@ccmhonline.com

Re: Woodburnt pipes

jmillerdoc said:
I once found a rather lengthy and detailed explanation on how to build a set of those pipes (the woodburnt ones above). Now all I can find is the one at partsexpress.com. This one doesn't give all of the critical details for build. Does any body know where a link is to build these? (other than partsexpress) I am considering trying to create a pair with the P17WJ00 and MDT33.
Thank you,
Jeff
millerjeff@ccmhonline.com

try this.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gradds55/ArgosTQWT.zip

Please check the distance between the tweeter and woofer, there should be about 8mm between the flanges (someone told me the values given were slightly wrong). You can offset the tweeters or leave it centered.

I have never used the MDT33 tweeter, so you may have to ask for other help for the series x-o, although using the one for the D25 or the PE showcase one for the D27 and then playing with the padding resistors might get you somewhere near.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.