woofer choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planning to embark on my first journey into DIY speaker bldg and was wondering if the dayton rs180s-8 would perform as good as the css-sdx7 in a 2 way enclosure for music and home theater. there are just so many combinations to choose from and being totally a noob at this i would ask for advice from those in the know.

i really like the way the sdx7 looks compared to the dayton's stealth look but performance will come before looks. i don't know enough to understand all the specifications listed on the css site for the sdx7 compared to the dayton specs on the parts express site. ?

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=MTM7FIN

i aspire to this above linked system but a set of those are a budget breaker for my first foray. i am currently using an old bose acoustimass 5 2.1 that i added a bose center channel and two bose 161's for the rear. while it performs well for our use and is unobtrusive i am ready for some great looking and great sounding speakers to go with my new plasma.

a two way tower or smaller enclosure on a stand are what i am looking to build. i have spent a couple of weeks looking at all the systems all here have built and am amazed at what i see.!!!

thanks for any info you can lend as i start my first build.

oh, i am using a Yamaha RX-V463 HT / receiver to power my system. my older Denon was too big to fit in the new low profile cabinet we have all the appliances in.

marchel said:

Hi, Are silverflutes comparable or even approaches the performance of sdx-7?

Within reason, yes.

I've heard them side by side with the same program material and while the sdx-7 does go lower and handle higher power levels, for 50 watts and under, the Silver Flute will match it pretty close.

In my experiments, the SF W14RC25 likes a 12L ported cab and easily hits 40Hz. The sdx-7 it was in a test with must have been in a ~200L cab.

Given the price difference, the SF is a stupidly great driver.

I have it as the woofer in a 2-way with a Jx6t and it's a perfect match.

Cheers!

Silverflute port size suggestions

I am going to be using 2 silver flute of the 4 ohm version in parallel in separate cabinet comparment in a tmtm configuration using
Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Ring Radiator Tweeter and a bose tweeter
I would appreciate any information you can give
enclosed cabinet size w 26.4 cm x H 16.5 cm x d 15.25 cm
xover 3k , 12k

Re: Silverflute port size suggestions

mcmahon48 said:
I am going to be using 2 silver flute of the 4 ohm version in parallel in separate cabinet comparment in a tmtm configuration using
Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Ring Radiator Tweeter and a bose tweeter
I would appreciate any information you can give
enclosed cabinet size w 26.4 cm x H 16.5 cm x d 15.25 cm
xover 3k , 12k

Hi,

Do you realize that if you parallel 2-4ohms speakers , they become 2 ohms. Do you realize that 99% of all home audio amps will not be happy with that load?

Thanks for the email,

But I think it is not a good idea to put a series resistor on woofers that operate from 40hz up, If you want to lower the sensitivity of the woofer , connecting them in series is a better way of doing it, Plus the 2- 4 ohms woofer will present 8ohms load to the amp and increase the sensitivity to 3db compared to a single woofer.

I addition to this, If you are worried that the bose driver might not have enough sensitivity to cope up with the woofers, just remember that when you put it in a second order xo system there is this thing called bandpass gain, For 2nd order xo the bandpass gain will be aprox. 2db. So there could be potentially 2db added to the sensitivity of the bose drivers.

Re: the silver flutes and tweeters

Hi,

mcmahon48 said:
The two silver flutes will handle the FR from 40hz to 3khz
bose tweeter 3000 to 12k or to 15 khz
I need to test the bose and other tweeter I have and that is why I am trying find help with Speaker workshop.

I like crossing the SF at 1.5K or lower.

I tried one at 1.5K, another at 900 and the one I have now are at 600.

The 600 and 900 are indistinguishable and at 1.5K, it depends on what you're using for a tweeter.

Cheers!

Re: yes I am aware of the parallel resisitance

mcmahon48 said:

I will be using load resistors in the crossover design to stable the
impedance to the amplifier I am aiming at 6 ohm to 12 ohms range
for the speaker system. Main impedance will be around 6.8 ohms :D

Hi,

No offence intended, but the above appears clueless regarding
using two 4 ohm drivers in parallel. I more than suspect your
crossover design is wrong, the MTMT idea has me baffled, why ?

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.