Eliminating Internal Waves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I've heard from a few sources that the actual cabinet dimensions (proportional) can have a large impact on sound quality, due to the nature of internal waves.

The speaker cabinet i'm currently constructing apparently has this problem to the extreme, because the internal depth of the cabinet is a microscopic 64mm, and it is a floor standing speaker. (Effective internal height is 580mm.)

I cannot change the design of the enclosure, so i have to find a way to eliminate these waves.

The products i have available are:
Sound absorbing polyester urethane acoustic tiles
Bitumen based sound deadener acoustic material
25% P.V.C. 75% Barium mineral powder attenuating/reflecting sound barrier material (light or heavy duty)

Which would be the best product (or combination) for this application?

Thanks

I think Dave is right. Since your choices are either absorption or diffusion, a combination of both may be the best approach. Sadly, 64mm doesn't give you much room to play with.

Something akin to this:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-Studiofoam-TFusor-Sound-Diffuser?sku=422615

Would be nice, but would be hard to execute given your lack of depth. You might want to try raised areas with alternating heights and distances between them as a means to repress the formation of standing waves. Once you put together a formation that sounds better, then cover it with whatever absorbtion material you like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.