Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2009, 06:54 AM   #21
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Have a look at Wireless World

Quote:
Originally posted by timbarnes
[B]I remember this KEF-based design...I believe it was originally published in Wireless World, and was a transmission line design with two diagonal partitions inside a rectangular box, resulting in a triangular transmission line that reduced as it progressed towards the port.
One of the pics tsneil posted shows that he has that article...

Click the image to open in full size.

http://t-linespeakers.org/design/foldings/tttl.html

dave
Old 14th February 2009, 09:08 AM   #22
rjb is offline rjb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I actually have just these drivers and crossover in the original Bailey triangular cross-section design. Currently I am not using them as they do not suit the listening room. In the right (large, open, reasonably well damped) room they sound excellent, and worth building. 25 watts transistorised is enough for most people.
However, like all that generation, they can sound a bit woolly, so a three way active crossover, with special attention to the mid-range can help.
I have heard these drivers in many different enclosures. The TL's have always been best, but all designs are quite large physically. Because both box layout and cross-overs varied, the sound also tended to vary between designs, but I cannot recommend any particular one as I have never done realistic comparisons.
Kef also used a simple sealed box, using your crossover, which sounds quite good, is smaller, and much simpler to make, but the bass not so extended.. Frankly I would slam a rough set of these together to listen to, while you were making with more care a set of TL's with better cross-overs.
The alternative suggested of making satellites with the T27 and B110 could be used, (I also have a pair of these) perhaps as a BBC LS3 lookalike, but without a good sub (you can use one of the B139's), bass is lacking, and without a good crossover, the wooliness is emphasised. If interested in this route, I suggest you google the LS3.
When it comes down to it, realistically the design option should be chosen to suit the room you intend using them in. If a large room, go for TL's, a mid-sized room, the sealed boxes, and a small room the sub/sats.
I am not a fan of chip amps. The Linn amp I have uses these, and despite good reviews, sounds only average to me. Certainly not as good as a good discrete commercial amp. If you are building your own, I suggest using one of the class-D tripath amps. They are available in either kit or populated form. These tend to make the sound slightly "colder and crisper" as one of my friends put it, which would improve the original sound.
Have fun.
Old 24th February 2009, 02:39 AM   #23
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

These just listed on e*** Australia, might be worth a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KEF-B110-mid-...3A1|240%3A1318

If you can get a pair of the Vifa D26 Neo tweeters you will get very good C2C distance although if modifying that will need some playing with the XO
Old 24th February 2009, 02:46 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Also these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KEF-SP1003-Mi...3A1|240%3A1318

Yes, I'm at home with nothing to do today, all my tools are packed waiting to move house
Old 24th February 2009, 02:56 AM   #25
tsnell is offline tsnell  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the links moondog, Iíll keep my eye on them and hopefully they wonít get too high. Iíve had some bad luck on ebay lately, Iíve been trying to win a turntable and have been sniped on 4 so far in the last few seconds.

I have found these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300294038306 too which would certainly make the task simpler. If I won these for a reasonable price I would only need to build a set of TLs for the woofers. What do you think?
Old 24th February 2009, 03:10 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

What and miss out on all the fun of chopping fingers off with unfamiliar power tools??

Actually might be worth buying IF they fit the tweeters you already have, I have just inherited a Stanton TT, the STR8-30, I'll need to shop for a new cartridge for it
Old 24th February 2009, 03:27 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Yeah it looks like theyíre an exact fit for the drivers I have. Not sure what they will end up going for though, if they stay under $100 Iíll probably have a crack (a small price to pay to hang onto all my appendages!). It looks like they are in pretty good nick and Iím no woodworker so Iím sure the standard will be at least up to the standard of anything I can produce. I have no idea how I would rebate the B110 cut-out (easy enough for a round hole, but I presume I would need to make up a custom router jig to achieve the shape of the B110 mounting flange).
Old 24th February 2009, 03:49 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Asking a little too much for postage aren't they? is pick-up an option for you??

Could do with a refinish and a new set of HQ terminal plates on the rear, probably worth $50/75- of my money, while you are on-line check-out AndyGs "Manhattens"
Old 24th February 2009, 03:55 AM   #29
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tsnell
I have no idea how I would rebate the B110 cut-out
I always just freehanded them using a small low power rockwell router that i have (2 of)

dave
Old 24th February 2009, 04:13 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip on the manhattans. They look very interesting, plus Andy is a fellow Novocastrian so I might be able to track him down for some tips at some stage in the future. Yeah the postage is a killer on those enclosures, but hopefully that will work in my favour, I am down in Sydney a fair bit so I can pick them up.

Iíve been thinking about the active setup a bit more. I have a 41Hz amp6basic that I can use for the tweeters (I was planning on using for a set of mFonkens or B3S for my PC in the future, but these can wait) and a currently not working (but hopefully repairable) amp9basic that I can use for the mids and bass. I could get a 3 way linkwitz board from ESP (P09 http://sound.westhost.com/pcb/pricelist.html) and feed the two amps. Iím sure there would be a fair bit of tweaking to get the sound right but it seems like it all fits pretty well.

Hide this!Advertise here!