Help finding a woofer AR3a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The story my mom told me was---One of the speakers started sounding bad. This was years ago. My dad took the speaker out to get it repaired. Mom said he took it to a local small shop. They waited for ever for him to get it fixed and finally the guy up and left with everything he had in his shop. My Mom kept the speakers in the garage and now i have them. I remember dad singing and playing country music with his friends at night as I was put to bed.He would stay up late. Mom and dad are gone now and I wanted to fix these up for obvious reasons.

Please tell me someone can help me. I have posted on another speaker forum as well trying to find a woofer for my cabinet. The cabinets are in great shape and I would love to have them working again.

Thanks ahead

Hoss

AR3a Woofer Replacement

This will not be pretty - look at the original woofer for your AR3a speaker, it is a 12" w/an 'outie' surround but the catch is the flats on the left & right edges. The sole reason for those flats? You have to buy overpriced garbage woofers from whoever it is that owns AR these days, drivers that have nothing to do with the originals (and I have an original that I will sell, too).
What I did to my AR3s (not a's, 3's) - I hit 'em w/ a router, made the woofer cut out a perfect circle. Yes they look like crap, but finally I could replace those overpriced stamped garbage AR replacements w/real rubber surround woofers like this - http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PIONEER-A30IR50-51F-/55-985 & this - http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PIONEER-A30IR50-51F-/55-985 (what I used) & for a lot less money as well. Now they are ugly but keep the lights low & no one will notice. And they sound wonderful. My old pair is for sale, too, just ask.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.