Active 3-ways with solen active loudspeaker module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
First time post here. I'm a frequenter of Canuck audio mart and AVS forum. Great site so far for DIY, tons of info.

I'm looking at building some 3-way LCR speakers and considering using the solen active loudspeaker module for the tweet and mid
http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_cata...anufacturiers=&niveau1=1&niveau2=2&niveau3=40
Powering the Vifa 27TG35 tweeter and the Vifa DM75MX-41 mid (both of these used in PMC OB1+ speakers which I love)

and then using an Anthem MCA30 3-channel amp to power the woofers, likely a pair of 8" drivers, possibly the usher 8955A. I'll be crossing over to my infinate baffle subwoofer at 40Hz. and using active crossovers to split the lows from the mid/highs.

anyone have any comments on this perspective design? I don't mind building cabinets to suit driver choices, and my woodworking skills are none too shabby...

Re: Re: Active 3-ways with solen active loudspeaker module

tinitus said:

There seems to be no highpass on DM75, or have I missed it :confused:

I'd be using another crossover to highpass to the mid/tweet and lowpass to the woofers. I'd love to stick with all RCA but this is one of the only ones I've found with RCA conectivity:
Gemini CX-1000
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=GMCX1000~item.htm

Assuming that the amplification and crossover ideas aren't ludicrous, I wonder how I would be better served for the woofers enclosure. if an F3 @ 40Hz is acceptable, would I be better off with a ported or a sealed enclosure? I'm very open to larger sized enclosures...
What I'm looking for is good mid-bass impact and detail. subwoofers are covering 40Hz on down.

I've also got to decide whether to build one large enclosure with the tweet and mid seperated, or build seperate enclosures for the mid/tweet and bass bins. (I'm leaning towards a single enclosure)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
soundemon said:

I wonder how I would be better served for the woofers enclosure. if an F3 @ 40Hz is acceptable, would I be better off with a ported or a sealed enclosure?

I've also got to decide whether to build one large enclosure with the tweet and mid seperated, or build seperate enclosures for the mid/tweet and bass bins. (I'm leaning towards a single enclosure)

I would recommend closed fore woofers, and find the woofers that suit the situation
If the Usher you mention is W8955K, it seems they roll off nicely around 45-50hz/-3db

I would recommend seperate enclosures
As you use standard active filters, it may be convenient to be able to adjust the position of each box section

But whether its a good thing you are planning, is hard to say...how the suggested drivers behave with those active filters is probably as unpredictable as passive filters
And to combine two completely different active filter designs may not go so easy either

Active 3-ways Gemini active Xover for dialing in

soundemon
I also have one of these that I bought to hopefully dial in different drivers before designing the Xovers for speakers. I bought a Gemini CX-1 but didn't get any instructions do you think you could send me a copy of yours? I looked on line everywhere and can't find one. You're my only hope.
Thanks

soundemon said:

I'd be using another crossover to highpass to the mid/tweet and lowpass to the woofers. I'd love to stick with all RCA but this is one of the only ones I've found with RCA conectivity:
Gemini CX-1000
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=GMCX1000~item.htm

Attachments

• cx-1.jpg
    cx-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 621
Re: Active 3-ways Gemini active Xover for dialing in

docrw said:
soundemon
I also have one of these that I bought to hopefully dial in different drivers before designing the Xovers for speakers. I bought a Gemini CX-1 but didn't get any instructions do you think you could send me a copy of yours? I looked on line everywhere and can't find one. You're my only hope.
Thanks

I haven't actually got one of these crossovers yet - just discusing perspective plans.
If I had the manual I certainly would make you a copy. Sorry I can't help!!

Zaph ZDT3.5 instead of active crossover

Hello,
Did you build the ZDT3.5's? If you did, I sure like to hear about it, also what you are referencing them to and driving them with.
I built the BAM MTM and so far not to happy, but hoping to discover I made a mistake in the Xovers (still in that discovery stage 2/2009).
What's your suggestion on using the active crossover? I have the Gemini CX-1
It sounds like my idea is a bad one...?

sreten said:
Hi,
I'd say build this : http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

Use your active crossover, 3 channel amplifier and subwoofer.

It will work far, far better that what you are planning.

:)/sreten.

Re: Zaph ZDT3.5 instead of active crossover

docrw said:
Hello,
Did you build the ZDT3.5's? If you did, I sure like to hear about it,
also what you are referencing them to and driving them with.

I built the BAM MTM and so far not to happy, but hoping to discover
I made a mistake in the Xovers (still in that discovery stage 2/2009).
What's your suggestion on using the active crossover?
I have the Gemini CX-1, It sounds like my idea is a bad one...?

Hi,

No i have not built them. IMO a cheap chinese 15W/40W active
module used for mid and treble is not going to hold a candle to
a good 200W amplifier driving a properly designed loudspeaker.

The ZDT3.5 seems the sort of thing that you want, by relaxing
the subwoofer point upwards you could make them quite compact.

I think you be better off using your 3x200W amplifier full range.
Using any good loudspeaker design that you want.

Using active c/o's is not a short cut to good speaker design,
it is fine if the active c/o's are designed properly, but they
are not "designed" at all if already built into modules.

Also note the ZDT3.5 has a different centre channel version.

Re: Re: Zaph ZDT3.5 instead of active crossover

I should have been more clear. I don't plan on staying with the active since 'yes' it is a piece of junk, but I also plan on building more speakers and got off to a bad start with the Zaph's MTM BAM design, and did want to go thru that again (Xover parts are expensive). What one person "thinks" sounds good and another can be completely different. The subs I built years ago and never got a Xover design but I'm ready to finish them up now, 'finally' and see how they work with this speaker, but I know they won't cover up a bad speaker (if this is one)

I posted pictures of speakers I've built the BAM is the white one to the left.

sreten said:

Hi,

No i have not built them. IMO a cheap chinese 15W/40W active
module used for mid and treble is not going to hold a candle to
a good 200W amplifier driving a properly designed loudspeaker.

The ZDT3.5 seems the sort of thing that you want, by relaxing
the subwoofer point upwards you could make them quite compact.

I think you be better off using your 3x200W amplifier full range.
Using any good loudspeaker design that you want.

Using active c/o's is not a short cut to good speaker design,
it is fine if the active c/o's are designed properly, but they
are not "designed" at all if already built into modules.

Also note the ZDT3.5 has a different centre channel version.

Attachments

• my subs jpg (4small).jpg
    my subs jpg (4small).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 391
Re: Re: Re: Zaph ZDT3.5 instead of active crossover

docrw said:

..... and got off to a bad start with the Zaph's MTM BAM design,
and did want to go thru that again (Xover parts are expensive).
What one person "thinks" sounds good and another can be completely different .....

Hi,

IME anyone can tell a decent design apart from a poor one, though
what floats ones/your boat between good designs can be different.

For example no-one AFAIK gets tired of good vocal reproduction.

At this juncture you might learn a lot more by trying to ascertain
the cause of your dissapointment, AFAICT the BAMTM should at
least sound good, the crossover looks difficult to improve upon.

soundemon said:
I'm looking at building some 3-way LCR speakers and considering using the solen active loudspeaker module for the tweet and mid Powering the Vifa 27TG35 tweeter and the Vifa DM75MX-41 mid (both of these used in PMC OB1+ speakers which I love)

:att'n:

Just a word of warning - that Vifa Midrange has teeny tiny motor - it compresses very fast and cannot play at all loud without distortion (you would need to cross it over real to get much mileage out of it, IMHO). I have heard that midrange on the Beolab 5 high end speaker and the only thing great about it is the low cost. If you listen at low levels it will be fine. This is NOT the same expensive 3" midrange that PMC uses on their bigger models...

:att'n:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.