First DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I am after some 2-way speakers for mixing and producing music on. Being a university student, I have little money. However, I do more time than I know what to do with. These seem like good conditions for DIY! I am handy enough to follow a plan, but I'm not even going to think about trying to design or tweak them myself.

Requirements:
  • Speakers and amp for under $700AUD
  • Must have decent bass, like most 6-7" studio monitors
  • Must be front ported or sealed
  • Must be shielded
  • Amp must have balanced inputs and take +4 level

I would prefer to buy the amp off-the-shelf, unless there is a very easy (but good) design I can follow. I definitely do not want a poor quality amp and I would like to avoid buying second hand.

Questions:
  • In this price range, am I just better off getting a set of Behringer Truths or KRK RP6s?
  • These commercial offerings will be bi-amped... Can a passive DIY XO with an OK amp be better than this?
  • Recommend me some designs? I have searched, but this place is an ocean of information - I am drowning!

Thanks! :)

I don't know if the Onkyo M-282 is available to you, but it's about $200 U.S. and is impressive in it's output and SQ. I use one to power a set of Zaph SR71 and i spent about $700 U.S. including cabinet materials. Don't know if you can surpass the performance with active monitors, but it's a start.

mayhem13 said:
I don't know if the Onkyo M-282 is available to you, but it's about $200 U.S. and is impressive in it's output and SQ. I use one to power a set of Zaph SR71 and i spent about $700 U.S. including cabinet materials. Don't know if you can surpass the performance with active monitors, but it's a start.

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think either of these are ideal.

This amp has only RCA in, from what I can see. I would like balanced TRS/XLR. I think this will limit me to amps like the Alesis RA line and similar. Also, the Zaph SR71 is rear ported.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Price the drivers and XO parts at www.speakerbits.com before you make up your mind, remember that there is no surface mail from the USA anymore and airmail rates are a KILLER.
Some very fine designs can't be made here as drivers are not available here or discontinued.
Look up Darcher Audio.
It can be done but will take time to find a design using drivers available in OZ

Balanced inputs are nice but really not needed, I detect no difference between my Alesis RA-100 and the new model, SQ noise or volume

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
They represent value if your skills/time is limited.

Look up the pro-audio sites and see what is being used and then note the prices, add a zero to your budget if buying off the shelf.
Most pro gear these days is active, Bi-amped and driven from the mixer output

So, bottom line, how would LSK M5s compare to something like KRK RP6s? They will work out to be roughly the same price.

I don't really see how LSK can provide a speaker which is on par with "commercial offerings that cost 2 to 3 times as much". The value proposition of DIY is that you cut out all the overheads. The only overhead LSK cut out is assembly, but they have the additional overhead of making the kits easy to assemble (eg. cutting the tongue and groove in the wood). Obviously they don't have the buying power of KRK, so one would think the benefits are almost entirely eroded?

Furthermore, everything I have read says that bi-amplified speakers are greatly superior to these passive types.

Can anyone clear some of this up for me? I don't really get it!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Peerless 831916 bass / midrange (PD176A)
176 mm bass / midrange with one piece polycone and rubber surround. An excellent low cost 6.5" driver.
$121.42AUD a pair

Peerless BC25SC-55-04 tweeter (PD026B)
25 mm tweeter
$70.00AUD the pair

Makes some of those powered monitors look cheap doesn't it????

Add the cabinet, damping material and finishing and cabling, most of us start DIY under the impression we can save money, and at the very top end I do believe that is true and at the very bottom but this is a very competitive market and quality is reasonable ( for most brands )

I hope some-one can give you a heads-up comparison of the available selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.