visaton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use visaton TI 100 in my fatboy project. Sounds detailed and transparant.

I always used visaton drivers good product quality good info on thier site. Also nice designs are shown there.

They are mid priced.

They have a nice horn supertweeter.
And a nice ceramic dome tweeter.
And a nice magneto static tweeter.

W130AL aluminium chassis is very good mid range.

Very nice subwoofers with heavy solid aluminium chassis not the cheep.

The W170,w200 and w300 are great drivers nice price performance.
Here my new speaker with visaton TI100.

(I would advice now2009 to buy tangband titanium or aluminium midrange unbeaten price performance.)

DSCF0290.jpg

Greetz Helmuth

hello.
there are many diy speakerbuilders using visaton in germany,austria,..........................
two diy magazines: " klang und ton " and "hobby hifi" with many examples of boxes....................
wellknown examples: frs8( small fullrange),al130(aluminium),g20(20mm dome tweeter) and so on.............
greetings.............

lejaybo said:
the alto I

book shelf speakers seem to fit the bill, has anyone built or heard them?

also i'm able to get the drivers to make these cabinets

Extract from Klang & Ton "The ALTO I is a neat little bubbly speaker system, especially for pop music." "In this area, its liveliness and clarity are highly pleasing." Value for money: very good

I used the w170 in the TL design very low distortion sound very good.
I would choose a better tweeter I think it will be a fine speaker.

sreten said:
Hi,

no fan of the alto's bass tuning given the drivers parameters.

Shown is 13L sealed, 13L twin ports, 13L single port and 20L single port.

:)/sreten.

Then build a alto II ;) alto2

The tuning of the alto I is not optimal but will be great sounding i am afraid.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yes, some say the TS parameters are not consistent with those on Visaton's website, but I have also read that many people do their measurements without pushing the drivers to maximum mechanical excursion for a couple of hours first. At Visaton, a 'burn-in' period of several hours is used to obtain the TS parameters.

I own a W 200 SC which had a quite stiff suspension when it was new, but after playing on a party for a night, its suspension was significantly softer.

I've read that especially Visatons "High End" midrange and bass-midrange drivers are good, most notably the AL 130, TI 100, GF 200 and AL 200.

Helmuth said:

Then build a alto II ;)

The tuning of the alto I is not optimal
but will be great sounding i am afraid.

Hi,

Your contradicting yourself. One of them will work a lot better
than the other. IMO the stock Alto 1 tuning is classic "boombox".
It will seem to have lots of "one note" bass but no bass extension.

"great sounding" ? only to the easily impressed, easily improved.

If you`re looking at a low cost project, you`d better go with a Tangband W4 based TL with the addition of a tweeter. The W4 could be left up to 7-8Khz and the Vifa XT25TG ( do not go with the screened version ) would take on, when cut above 7Khz the Vifa could match the best tweeters out on the market. The total cost of the project will be as the Alto, you`ll have very good bass extension with the sacrifice of the group delays in the bass region.

The Visaton Hi-end series are not hi-end to me at least. They require a high order x-over and a notch for the cone resonance, the chassis needs additional damping ( dynamat is good to use ) and the inductance of the voice coil for all drivers is too high, 0.9mH for the Al170 for example.

a_tewinkel is right, the T/S parameters should be measured when the burn in period is completed. Most drivers change a lot after the burn in, some don`t ( like the Seas Excel ).

For the price of the kits shown by Helmuth you can build a real hi-end speaker, using Scanspeak drivers which have superb dynamics, very opened sound and require a simple xover network.

Actually, I've seen some measurements of the AL 130 and TI 100 drivers, which pointed out that CSD and HD measurements were about as good as or better than comparable Scan Speak units. For example, the TI 100 was tested by Zaph Audio. It has lower THD and cleaner CSD than the Scan Speak 12M4631G, at least up to the cone resonance. That's a fair trade off for a simple notch to me.

As for the rest, the GF 200 (which I use as a dipole midrange) and AL 200 drivers are pretty good and have low distortion, but I agree that the rest probably cannot keep up with the best. Scan Speak and Seas make the better tweeters, and your choice all depends on what your budget is. The cheaper Visaton units and kits are decent at a reasonable price, but they are not as good as the cheaper drivers from Seas (Prestige line) or Peerless, for example.

Visaton's sub drivers have a poor price performance ratio, for example a W 300 S has about the same price as a Peerless SLS 12", but the Peerless is definitely the better quality.

a_tewinkel said:
Actually, I've seen some measurements of the AL 130 and TI 100 drivers, which pointed out that CSD and HD measurements were about as good as or better than comparable Scan Speak units. For example, the TI 100 was tested by Zaph Audio. It has lower THD and cleaner CSD than the Scan Speak 12M4631G, at least up to the cone resonance. That's a fair trade off for a simple notch to me.

I would not agree with you :) Yes, the distortion of the Visaton metal cones is lower than the SS paper slit cone and this is because of the mechanical properties of the aluminum vs paper. However they require a complicated high order xover which kills all the musicality and transparency of the sound. The good driver is not the one that measures best but the one which could end up to a loudspeaker which sounds best. The high order xover which includes zobel and notch networks kills the sound ( my personal opinion ). Also, all metal cone drivers by Visaton and Seas have high inductance values.
If you could give me just one example of a loudspeaker that uses metal drivers and sounds really good - please do so :) I`ve listened to many of them, some DIY, some of them - branded, all sound empty, cold and with no dynamics at all.

sreten said:

"great sounding" ? only to the easily impressed, easily improved.

Juergen Knoop said:

it's a budget design for small stereos, providing
exactly what customers want and need. :smash:
regards

Hi,

Like a lot budget speakers it gives the users what they think
they need rather than what will give longer term satisfaction.

Omitting one of the ports (or lining both with foam if built)
is a very good idea, IMO its pointless suggesting otherwise.

Hi,
of course it should be evaluated 'on site', but I think a speaker without deeper bass needs a little 'boom' to compensate.
I have heard the W170S damped to death for flat frequency response in a small enclosure. :dead:
Better to choose the Alto2 or an other concept, if the small Alto is perceived as to boomy.
Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.