The construction of a multicell horn

I´m almost done with my second multicell build, this time it is a pair of 15 cell 285Hz horns with 2" throat. Built the same way as Petters but with a slightly different throat construction, this time I filled the voids between the cells with polyester resin and covered the exterior with resin and fibreglass instead of trying to damp the walls with the stinking bitumene/asphalt goo that I used on my old 1" horns. This made a major difference in damping out vibrations.
Will post pictures after I´ve sanded and painted the monsters.

Hello Petter,

Yesterday I saw that thread – strumming genius! Respect to your wood work. I wonder how did you fix cells to mold? Small nails or screw? Double-faced adhesive tape?

I will send you PM with my email. I like to do a smaller horn Fx 500 Hz during winter months

Best Regards
pertube

Last edited:

I danged three nails through the mold, sticking out about 1-2 mm, this is not an issue since the markings will end up on the back side of the cells.

It is really simple to calculate a multicellular horn, just divide the cross section
area with the number of cells. One has to bear in mind that the sides do not
get as long as for a single cell horn because each cell do not bend as much.

285Hz Multicell, 145Hz Tractrix, 1600Hz LeCleach and 40Hz Onken...:D

Attachments

• hornstack1.jpg
    hornstack1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,042
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
impressive
hmm, there's ont thing I dont understand about multicell horns
will multiple horns have the mouth area of each cell
or, do they work combined, and summed as one big mouth

I can uderstand if the CD driver 'sees' the combined total area of all cells
but ressonance of each cell ought to be higher, and relate to each individual cell
its probably very simple, just not to me :clown:

"Tell us about the 285Hz multicell please"

The size was determined by the dimensions (30x30cm) of the plywood pieces that I got for free. I wouldn´t mind slightly larger horns, 240Hz or so, but these seems good enough for me when I use them from 600 to 4000Hz.

My guess i that round Tractrix/Kugelwellen/LeCleach horns MAY sound better than multicells but such horns cannot be DIY:ed easily. (An exception might be John Inlows paper horns). Multicells are within reach for anyone who can handle a bandsaw and a router (and has some hours to spare). As a bonus, the do look wicked...:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes they do! Very nice work, thanks for posting.

I hope you don't mind - here are 3 photos of some old Pioneer multicells I saw last year. I should have bought them. They are so pretty I thought you might enjoy them.

Attachments

• pioneer_horn_1.jpg
    pioneer_horn_1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,644
  • pioneer_horn_2.jpg
    pioneer_horn_2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,607
  • pioneer_horn_3.jpg
    pioneer_horn_3.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,592
Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to mention that I have another multicell horn under construction (the last one, I swear...), a single 10 cell 240Hz unit made of masonite. The plan behind this project is to put some odd drivers, tubes, transformers and such stuff to use in a mono system for my bedroom. I´m also drawing a corner loaded horn/BR hybrid to cover 60-500Hz.