Low end support for single driver monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
strider75 said:
looking at other options as well

We are playing with the Silver Flutes as a lower cost option... i have 4 of the W14s in process.

I also have a few of the 7" Easttech left... i'm going to need 4 for the TLs, but any in excess of that will go out the door for $40/pr. A pair go into a 28 litre vented box.

I even have the FonkenWoof variation for these already drawn up.

dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cabinet design

planet10 said:

Fair enuff... once all the bracing is done, and what it takes construction-wise to get those champhers, and a few other details, my CAD program spits out a 28 litre net volume.

dave

I'll take your CAD derived figure over my cocktail napkin sketch/calculator method any day.....

Ignoring aesthetics, is there a reason to stick with the Fonken's chamfer edged front profile in the bass cabinets? Would a rectangular lower cabinet be enough to negatively affect the defraction of the sound wave from the Fonken driver?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DaveCan said:
Doesn't anyone question how a low sens carbon fiber cone woofer... Couldn't a person just use another larger Fostex driver crossed lower to mate with the 127,126,108 etc and keep the same family sound?

The SDX7 works & works well. We explored all of the Fostex options but they either didn't go as low, or needed a way bigger box, and all of them cost more. Further as anyone who has listened to the FX120 or F120A or the FFs, will know, their isn't a family sound...

dave

planet10 said:

I also have a few of the 7" Easttech left... i'm going to need 4 for the TLs, but any in excess of that will go out the door for $40/pr. A pair go into a 28 litre vented box.

I even have the FonkenWoof variation for these already drawn up.

dave

Hmmmm. Curiosity is piqued.

Would be so kind as to elaborate a bit more?

Maybe more appropriate through PM?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cabinet design

strider75 said:
Ignoring aesthetics, is there a reason to stick with the Fonken's chamfer edged front profile in the bass cabinets? Would a rectangular lower cabinet be enough to negatively affect the defraction of the sound wave from the Fonken driver?

Except maybe for those 2 corners right up top, the reason for maintaining the front profile is aeshetic. A retangular box would be an easier build, and you can realize a bit more volume.

I must say thou, that the job Chris nade of my efforts to design in aesthtics and get the box to be as large inside as possible, as non-resonant as possible, is really a work of art. It is actually "prettier" from a design point on the inside than on the out. A lot of excersixe for the hole saw thou.

dave

strider75 said:

Another driver I'd been looking at is the GR Research M-165X. They go for $45 each; running the T/S parameters in winISD I think I'd be limited to running 1 per side due to the volume constraints I'm looking at. The site claims a -3db of 37.5 hz in a ported design of 1.2 ft^3. I'm pretty sure I could make that volume work and stick to the plan of the bass cabinet staying in the Fonken footprint. Being a ported box, I'm not certain if there'd be a drawback to the shape of the cabinet vs a conventional rectangular design though. Their frequency response also extends relatively high, which I imagine would help it integrate with the Fonken better.

Any thoughts on the GR Research driver?

I have no experience with GR Research drivers but the price is nice. I'll have a good look at the spec. but I'm no inclined to go with a ported box unless it some kind of Onken-style ports can be rigged to keep the driver well-loaded at those low frequencies. I suspect it's not worth the construction effort and a sealed box is where I'm heading.

Dave is the expert here, but wondering if he will reveal his secret mods for the SDX-7

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:)

I don't mind if you use the term Fonken (it is after all, a Fostex Onken style box)... just add a prefix or suffix that makes it your own...

Your effort has also egged me on to do do some internediate sizes that have been floating around in my head for sometime, so a claim the names cFonken (centiFonen) and dFonken (deciFonken), in keeping with the metrix nomenclarture of my smaller Fonkens? (i can hear Chris screaming from here :))

I'll probably do wallFonken vesions of all of these too... i've been meaning to add surrounds to my HT that fit on the wall, but the Audax based DIVAs i had intended are just too big to be convienient, a micro or deci versionshould be a nice size.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bigun said:

I have no experience with GR Research drivers but the price is nice. I'll have a good look at the spec. but I'm no inclined to go with a ported box unless it some kind of Onken-style ports can be rigged to keep the driver well-loaded at those low frequencies. I suspect it's not worth the construction effort and a sealed box is where I'm heading.

Dave is the expert here, but wondering if he will reveal his secret mods for the SDX-7

They aren't secret (i've posted the basic must-have (and simple to do) mod a couple times -- search on SDX7 and puzzlekoat). And a 1st order treated matched pair is available from me for at Bob's retail price, as well as fully done up pairs for $100 more.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10 said:
:)

Your effort has also egged me on to do do some internediate sizes that have been floating around in my head for sometime, so a claim the names cFonken (centiFonen) and dFonken (deciFonken), in keeping with the metrix nomenclarture of my smaller Fonkens? (i can hear Chris screaming from here :))

I'll probably do wallFonken vesions of all of these too... i've been meaning to add surrounds to my HT that fit on the wall, but the Audax based DIVAs i had intended are just too big to be convienient, a micro or deci versionshould be a nice size.

dave

I'm glad to hear, I've no aspirations to try and earn a living from my efforts in this direction and if I were still playing with DIY in a couple of years it would be thanks to your help.

I think you will do very well with an intermediate size. I picked 6L (actually 6.25L) as it corresponds nicely with the 80Hz cut off that matches with my HT plans. I think this is a good cut-off because it corresponds to where our ears lose directionality.

The base response is good and it's not overly sensitive to the port design (from simulations). For home use it's a much more convenient size and weight.

I was pretty excited about building a Fonken-style speaker and the idea of building the miliFonken just didn't excite me with the simple slot port instead. The Fonken appears to be such a classic that I just had to build one to this style.

I think it's possible to scale the full Fonken design down to well below 6L with some careful design and construction (i.e. I was able to design a miliFonken with the Onken ports). Part of this design included the use of a router to cut out ports on two faces of plywood that would then sandwich together without any spacer strips. And those funny holes in my boxes you noticed also saved me volume.

Another thing that I did was to narrow the ports with thinner spacers. I think that the smaller boxes do better with shorter ports or they get too deep and to avoid losing the port resistance you have to narrow the openings. Mine went down to 0.635cm, about 2/3 that of the Fonkenprime. I had suggested folded ports, but these eat up a lot of volume in a small box.

My 6L design scales nicely (it was planned from the start to do so). I can add an extra pair of ports of same size and shape with a corresponding increase in box height to achieve a nice 8L. Another pair of ports (8 total) gets a nice box at 10L. The front aspect of the 8L version is the most pleasing of these three.

With the 6L box you have something that isn't too tall to accommodate a nice woofer-in-a-speaker-stand without the total assembly being too high. It's shallow enough for wall mounting (in my opinion). The wall Fonken was tempting, but I was disuaded by two factors, i) box being shallow enough to impact sound, ii) requiring folded ports to achieve good port length or having to put the ports out the sides at the back (loses the Fonken aesthetic), iii) box having to be wider than I wanted from my aesthetics.

But there's a big market for HT and I'd suggest you introduce a full range of HT_Onken's (I'll give you that name) which may or may not be based on the FE127E driver.

Afterall that, I may not build the 8L for my front speakers, as I have some new thoughts on the Onken aesthetic for improved WAF which I need to think about further. I'll be sending more questions your way though

:cool:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bigun said:
I was pretty excited about building a Fonken-style speaker and the idea of building the miliFonken just didn't excite me with the simple slot port instead. The Fonken appears to be such a classic that I just had to build one to this style.

I think it's possible to scale the full Fonken design down to well below 6L with some careful design and construction (i.e. I was able to design a miliFonken with the Onken ports). Part of this design included the use of a router to cut out ports on two faces of plywood that would then sandwich together without any spacer strips. And those funny holes in my boxes you noticed also saved me volume.

There is a full FonkenPrime version of the mFonken & the uFonken. We deemed that the construction effort pushed the cost so close to the Prime that we went with the simplier to build ports to keep the price resonable ...

dave

Attachments

• meet-the-fonkens.gif
    meet-the-fonkens.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 452
planet10 said:

There is a full FonkenPrime version of the mFonken & the uFonken. We deemed that the construction effort pushed the cost so close to the Prime that we went with the simplier to build ports to keep the price resonable ...

dave

That makes perfect sense. I can see that the mFonken is nicely optimized in terms of cost.

When I'm building it myself the labour costs are payable in beer.

We need to pull this thread back on track

So, simply, the idea for LF support to a Fonken is a box designed as a stand for the Fonken, same shape only taller. The internal volume could be in the range 15L to 30L+ depending on the specific Fonken and the height.

We put an SDX-7 in one of the sides (or two in opposite sides) to make a sealed box sub. To the first order I think the performance of this sealed box is fairly insensitive to the internal volume over a reasonable range. There doesn't seem to be much argument in favour of using the larger SDX-10 ?

Is this the best approach ?

Any deviation from this simple approach means more complexity or cost or some other tradeoff so is there much more to talk about or am I missing something :confused:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AdamThorne said:
where do you figure you'll cross? Will you use high-pass on the little ones, or just let 'em roll off natural like?

I'm XOing mine at 100 Hz and i'd recommend taking the load off the bottom of the Fonken with at least a 1st order HP. This is most easily accomplished by an appropriately sized cap on the input of the HF amplifier such that the RC formed with the amps input impedance turns over at the frequency of choice,

Sneakier but more invasive is to reduce the size of a coupling cap in your amplifier to accomplish the same thing.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bigun said:
We put an SDX-7 in one of the sides (or two in opposite sides) to make a sealed box sub. To the first order I think the performance of this sealed box is fairly insensitive to the internal volume over a reasonable range. There doesn't seem to be much argument in favour of using the larger SDX-10 ?

Due to the (at least minimally treated) SDX7's smooth & extended response, XO options are considerably widened. A true subwoofer like the SDX10 has more limited HF capability and needs a fairly fast turnover.

Using a low order XO on the SDX7 means it is there to help fill in where baffle-step has reduced the respnse of the front facing driver.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.