Unusual speaker cabinet design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't understand the concept. Are there different length tubes inside the box with one end closed? How does this work?

Each is a filter, a Helmholtz resonator. This was also written up Speaker Builder. It worked fine, but really was no advantage as you don't need a wide band filter, you need one to control the drivers resonance, so a single band filter ( box ) works fine.

From what I understand in studying this design and speaking with my father, these are not "wide band" filters. They are tuned single frequency tubes around the resonance of the driver which has a wider band(bell curve) and therefore the need for a few tubes of narrow band filtering. This is not something you could achieve with just a box which would most likely turn the bell curve into more of an 'M' shape if you managed to tune the box in the middle of the resonance frequency of the driver, best wishes with that idea.

I have a pair of Hegeman 1A speakers, and can attest that the bass response is wonderful for the size speaker it is. Its depth is uncanny at time. I do wish someone would commercially produce a subwoofer using the Hegeman loading, as I think it would be very successful. Or simply reproduce Hegeman's design in a full range speaker, as Morrison has done (don't know if his speakers are still in production).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.