Has anyone tried the Ciare 8.50 NdMR or the Ciare 6.38 NdMR in a front horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just come across two Nd drivers from Ciare – a 6½” driver and an 8” driver – which both, at least on paper, seem VERY promising for horn use. I consider using one of them in a conical front horn in the 160-1000 Hz range (see picture).

I am referring to the models (please see link below for specs):

• 6½” 6.38 NdMR, and
• 8” 8.50 NdMR

http://www.assistanceaudio.com/08_CIARE.html

If anyone out there has tried one of these drivers in a front horn, I would be pleased to hear your impressions!

Given that the Throat of the horn is 81 cm^2, Length = 61.5 cm, and Mouth = 2754 cm^2, which of these two drivers would you consider the best candidate for this specific conical front horn?

Please note, that one important different design wise is that while the 8” demands a closed rear chamber the smaller 6½” will use no (or an infinitely large) back chamber.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Peter

Attachments

• low-mid front horn komp.jpg
    low-mid front horn komp.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 236
Maybe.

I've also noticed that the models on Assistance Audio web site and which on the Ciare's are quite different.

For example, 8.50NdMR and 6.38 NdMR we are talking about here can not be found on the Ciare's site. I'm wondering if they are OEM'ed for AA only?

Tried distributor of Germany just now. They don't have these two, either.

Heard some good reviews on Ciare's drivers, but the availability and all these confusing published data are just frustrating. Pity.:(

Hi CLS,

I have also wondered why the 8.50 NdMR and the 6.38 NdMR drivers were not to be found on the Ciare website and have actually mailed the company but unfortunately they have not replied!?

The drivers might be obselete by now, I do not know. However, while these specific drivers are not to be found on the product list of the German distributor either, the drivers do seem available by several specific dealers:

www.lausprechershop.de

http://www.lsv-achenbach.de/homepage.htm

Best regards
Peter

Hello!

This driver can be found in the "industry" section of the Ciare website.
http://oem.ciare.com/it/296/302/prodotti.php

Not directly related to the question, but I once had a Ciare HX160 in a conical front horn. It has the same basket and below the shield probably a similar magnetic circuit as the 6.38. According to independent measurements it has similar strength of the drive compared to the diaphragm mass, but which is only a half, so the drivers are not comparable. This driver sounds a bit stressed to my ears as it comes out of the box, more relaxed when the Qe is increasead by a series resistor, and totally boring in the front horn. Maybe this 8 g cone without any resonances is just not built for hard labour, so I think it says nothing about its pro brother.

Hello El`Ol,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Ciare drivers.

However, the driver you found on the Ciare site (model number 6.38 NdW) is not the same as the smaller of the ones I am refering to (the 6.38 NdMR). It is somewhat confusing that the model numbers are so close, since the specs of the two drivers are really quite different. The NdMR version I was refering to has much higher Fs, lower mass and a stronger motor than the NdW version. For example:

6.38 NdMR: Fs=197 Hz, Mms=11,4 g; Qt=0.29, BL 15.48

6.38 NdW: Fs=59.5 Hz, Mms=17.45 g, 0.3, BL=11

Best regards
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.