Input on 5.1 diy setup, budget friendly *n00b*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was recommended that I join up here and ask exactly what I am looking for and see what the experts think ;) I am completely new to home audio and am looking to build my own speakers. I don't want to get into home audio as a hobby so I am just looking to build something and be happy with it, hah. This will be in a living room (11x17) for general audio purposes. Not looking to build a theater room here. Most the time watch tv with the tv speakers and receiver off. I was thinking of only using a sub when I want the extra bass for either music or movies. So I don't know if that means I should go with 3 way mains or 2 way will be sufficient. I don't need it to sound the best just decent with the ability to get decently loud if I ever need to. I was thinking about doing it in stages like building the mains first, then center and rears later if possible. The projects I had in mind were PE Tritrix, Dr. K's MTM, Zaph's BA MTM, or this RS150 MTM. I'm liking the BA MTM or the RS150 more due to the lower cost. So which of these (or other) would you recommend? Can I build just towers/mains for now then do the rest later? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason,

Whats your budget?

I would look at these:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=MT27KITA
Full range bookshelf speaker kit using the Mark Audio Alpair 5 aluminum wide range "tweeter" and the CSS SDX7 woofer. Includes CNC cut baffle, magnetic grill, crossover parts, plans, etc. to build the rest of the speaker. You will have to source and cut materials for the rest of the enclosure to finish this kit.
$229 per speaker. / $458 pair

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SUBSD12KITA
This Kit includes all hard parts necessary to build a Sub SD12. It includes an O audio 500W Bash amplifier, a CSS SD12 Subwoofer, a CNC machined baffle, and amplifier panel to mount the woofer, and amp. It aslo includes floor spikes, and screws necessary to mount the amplifier and woofer.
$499

I would build at lease the Front LT/RT and sub.

These are cdn prices from a lower mainland company.
http://www.creativesound.ca

Budget is hard for me to say at this time. I look at this way. If someone recommends something that is more than I want to spend, I will save to get those if I like them. I want to build all my own cabinets. From lots of reading I like the look and cost of the nat p's that I saw over at htguide. I want floor standing mains and using a 3" port since I have a couple of those already. I'm hoping to source most/all parts from PE if possible.

Thanks Jrace for the info, I've bought from Bob before once. At this time I don't have a receiver yet either (thinking onkyo 705 :S). I will be building a sub either use a 12" infinity reference, or a jl 12w6v2. The bash 500 will be the plate amp I'm after if I don't start with a receiver that will power one.

Jason, i recommend the tritrix they have alot going for them,
1. about 180 a pair for drivers and xo.
2. easy 8 ohm load.
3. easy to build xo.
4. can be built sealed, vented or tl.
5. they sound very good for the money.

there is a matching tm that you can use for sourounds

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
y8s said:
If you want cheap and easy, build the B3S single driver speaker

If you go that wat, for a bit more budget the FF85K can be put into a small box.

If you have the budget i would consider the CSS FR125 as a really good all-rounder that works REALLY well with HT receivers. It does -- IMO -- work best in a 5-10 liter enclosure (sealed or aperiodic). Hard to make that into a floorstander, and it won't use your ports up.

Add a sub and away you go (also from Bob, a pr of SDX10 or a single SD12.

dave

Quote-CSS FR125 as a really good all-rounder that works REALLY well with HT receivers. It does -- IMO -- work best in a 5-10 liter enclosure (sealed or aperiodic).-Quote

Planet10 do you have any examples of this unit? 5L sealed x5 +sub would make fo a very WAF. possible fr graph -f3, f10?

what is the FF85K?

blue934

jrmxj said:
Jason, i recommend the tritrix they have alot going for them,
1. about 180 a pair for drivers and xo.
2. easy 8 ohm load.
3. easy to build xo.
4. can be built sealed, vented or tl.
5. they sound very good for the money.

there is a matching tm that you can use for sourounds

Where can I find the info to look over the other box designs? Also info on the surrounds? Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
blue934 said:
CSS FR125 as a really good all-rounder that works REALLY well with HT receivers. It does -- IMO -- work best in a 5-10 liter enclosure (sealed or aperiodic).

Planet10 do you have any examples of this unit? 5L sealed x5 +sub would make fo a very WAF. possible fr graph -f3, f10?

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-CSS.html#4L-aperiodic

There are drawings for 2 variations... pretty easy to manipulate into a shape suitable for your use. Our build of the alt box was probably the best we've heard FR125

4L-aperiodic-FR125.jpg

No measured response. I''d estimate they hit 80 Hz on the bottom and with some finesse.

what is the FF85K?

A 3" Fostex (and on e of the drivers we have choosen to modify). Really to be considered a mid-tweeter. It approaches 100 Hz all by itself in a 2 litre cox. Really rocks when mated to a woofer and crossed circa 300 Hz.

FF85keN.jpg

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/FF85KeN.html

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Blazin_Jason said:
For those of you on the island as well I need some acoustic material for the cabinets. What can be bought locally to use as an acoustic foam? Doesn't have to be foam can be fiberglass or whatever.

You ever get down to Victoria (i'm actually closer than that)? We are still using vintage materials or other salvage from my years of recycling drivers (and burning the boxes). I could probably fix you up -- you'd just need to bring the "donuts" (no Tim Horton's thou)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.