Complete 3-way DIY kit with ATC mid dome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

Can someone suggest good diy kit for 3-way floorstanding speakers that use ATC dome midrange SM75-150 (or S version)?
I love the sound of larger PMC models such as IB2 and up, with their dome midrange, and ATC100.
I do not have means to do any wood work, cross-over design, etc., for this reason I was wondering if there are such kits available.
Do such kits come close to ATC speakers?
Does anyone have any experience with Wilmslow Audio Prestige, is it a good design with well integrated drivers, in good inert enclosure?
I could not find any info on Wilmslow in regard to cross-over, slopes, etc.

Hi,

I've heard the Wilmslow Audio Prestige (search for my mini review) and the ATC SCM-100ASL but sadly not side by side. The Prestige cab is not as inert as I would like but I am pretty confident its nothing that couldn't be fixed in an afternoon with a saw, ply and glue to improve the internal bracing, as it's inside the cab no real wood working skills would be required.

The treble for me is a liittle crisper on the prestige, I prefer the SS 9900 and the bass is leaner on the prestige than the ATC's. The biggest difference is that the prestige does not have the authority of the active ATC's. Having a bit more experience of speakers since listening to the Prestige I am now failrly sure the ATCs are better off for being active.

To answer the main part of your question the Prestige does come close but not equal to the ATC SCM-100ASL but on the other hand it is *much* cheaper. If I had a few hundred punds buring a hole in my pocket I would not hesitate to get a pair of ATC mid ranges.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for reply.
If I understand correctly, ATC SCM100 active is in your opinion better than Prestige, mainly because it offers more authority?
Does it mean that Prestige would be quite close to passive ATC SCM100, if Prestige cabs are enforced with additional internal bracings (I have been leaning toward passive ATCs)?
Also, what do you mean by the bass being leaner on Prestige, it does not go as deep as ATC, or it is faster and more resolute, or both?
Finally, I am not sure I understand your last sentence, you would not hesitate to get a pair of ATC mid ranges, what exactly you mean, that you would get Prestige or you would go for ATC SCM100, the cost difference being justified by the difference in performance?

SashaV said:

If I understand correctly, ATC SCM100 active is in your opinion better than Prestige, mainly because it offers more authority?
Correct

Does it mean that Prestige would be quite close to passive ATC SCM100
Sorry, can't comment on the passive ATC's as I've never heard them.

Also, what do you mean by the bass being leaner on Prestige, it does not go as deep as ATC, or it is faster and more resolute, or both?
Unless you would have heard the active ATCs you would not notice anything lacking in the Prestige but in comparison I would say it doesn't dig as deep.

that you would get Prestige or you would go for ATC SCM100, the cost difference being justified by the difference in performance?
IMHO the ATC SCM100ASL's (Seas tweeter) are one of the best speakers (regardless of cost) I've come across and if you take into account the fact that they come with buit in amps they are a high end bargin. But still very expensive.
The Prestige aren't as good as the active ATC's but in turn offer excellent value for money. The only reason I didn't buy them (after alot of thought) is because I couldn't justify the money and then started down my own DIY speaker route. If I'd bought them, I would have added extra bracing/dampening to the cab and been very happy.

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.