Why do speaker manufacturers do this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a picture of the Eminence Beta 8". It is only an example, many other speakers look similar.

1596792.jpg

Speaker designers and manufacturers must be aware that most drivers are mounted from the front. So why do they still make so many drivers that are obviously optimised for mounting from the back?

Companies like Eminence do a lot of business with the guitar amp and PA sound world- and a lot of those speakers are mounted 'from the back'.
Perhaps this is the reason?
I noticed that some Celestion speakers I bought came with two sets of gaskets for either front and back mounting.
It can be nasty if the gaskets are glued on, but most of the time they seem to be pretty easy to switch around.
Cheers
John

nickmckinney said:
In designs like this the gasket allows faster assembly as you just set the driver on its face with wet glue and let gravity do its job.

The simplest answers are often the most surprising ones. While I suspected savings during manufacturing to be an issue, I would have thought of something less obvious. E. g. easier pressing process, if the brims are folded in the same direction as the rest of the basket or something like that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.