4way OB project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dr.EM said:
Looks good, I bet these sound great!

That's the Dayton RS52? Did you remove the rear cup to make them open baffle too or is it just open baffle up to 1.2kHz?

Between those 12 woofers I expect the bass has plenty of impact? I was very impressed with OB bass myself when I ventured into it, so much so that I will be building OB subs to go with an otherwise monopole system. Certainly didn't find it lacking in punch and depth myself, I just don't have enough cone area at the moment for huge levels but it looks like you do!

I didn`t remove the rear cups, so it`s OB only up to 1.2 kHz, but for a brief time I considered doing it along with placing another Fountek ribbon at the back side. Well, I might do it someday;)
12 woofers..., yes plenty of impact and effortless, tremendous sense of weight, the way I like it:D

mazeroth said:
fivestring,

Your project looks great! I've been throwing around a similar idea with a line of 6 12" cheap subs (9mm xmax) per side or 6 of the RS225s per side, both of which I own 12 of. Next would be a pair of RS180s or RS150s which would cross to the RS52, one in the front and one in the rear, to get a full dipole effect with a rear tweeter. Any reason why you chose two RS52s which such a high crossover point to the ribbon? Do you get bad combing? What size room are these in?

Also, do you have a rear picture of these?

Thanks! Go ahead with your project, I`m sure you won`t be disapointed:D
Erm..., I don`t think XO between RS52 and ribbon is too high, in fact I wanted the ribbon to survive higher levels as well:)
They will be placed in a pretty large room, still in works.
I will post the pictures of the rear later.

There you go...

AUIOOA-1223073266dscf2500.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Fivestring,

Impressive work! Congratulations! And thanks for sharing :)

Structure of 3-layer MDF looks so solid. How much does it vibrate under loud bass passage? (You got 6* 12"ers pumping hard there)

I'm considering my new baffle and thinking how one piece of strong structure holds itself against the moving force of the cone (and air).

If it's good enough, I think I'll drop the idea of separate mid-high and bass sections. I haven't figured out a tidy solution of a 2-section baffle, yet.

Hi CLS,

Thank you! I must admit I am also very impressed by your big OB`s, really!
Because of enormous effective surface of the six 12" woofers, during loud passages they don`t move much and so the whole structure stays pretty calm. For your new baffle, try to consider going even one step further and try to use three different layers of material, because I feel that`s much better than one thick layer. Separate mid-high sections are also a great idea and it shouldn`t be too hard to implement all that;)

Wow, that picture really gives a scale of how huge these are :eek:

I second the use of different materials, a sandwhich of MDF, Ply and MDF should work well. Constrained layer damping I believe it's called; by using materials with inherently different resonant frequencies stuck together you create the effect of cancelling each other's resonances :)

What is the small horn pictured next to your OB fivestring? It looks like it has a 2" Visaton FRWS5 driver in it? I don't suppose it reaches very low but it's beautifully made and very cute!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.