Determining a nominal impedance of a finished speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been trying to find if there is any set guidelines to determining the nominal impedance of a finished loudspeaker. You get your peaks and dips in the impedance plot and wonder if it's a percentage added to the lowest impedance, or average over a certain portion.

I'm looking how it applies for amplifiers that specify say 4 ohm min impedance and am wondering how low the dips can go and for how much of the plot.

How low an impedance dip an amp can handle depends on many factors - the magnitude and phase of the load, the signal level at the dip, the heat sinking, number of output devices, how aggressive the protection circuit is, etc.

For a bit of a rule of thumb, if your worst dip is to 3 ohms or greater with less than 45 degrees phase, you're probably safe with any 4 ohm rated amp. Worse than that (greater phase angle, lower impedance) then look for an amp with lots of output devices and massive heat sinks.

Thanx for the replies.

I've got a dip down to 3R6 and 22° phase. My AKSA 55 has no problems with it but I tried a new Yamaha A-S1000 last week.

The day after running the speakers the Yamaha went belly up stuck in protection mode when running other speakers that have a minimum impedance of 6R9 and 4° phase. I'd say the amp has an internal problem not related to the speaker as it's stuck on protection mode with nothing attached.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.