Any bad report on Vifa 1" (DX25TG05-04) tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got the tweeter in an test setup with the 830656 from peerless, crossed at 3100 Hz with a 3rd order crossover. And they do sound great allready, still have to break them in....

But the sound is far better then my old tweeters (Visaton G25) more high and good detail of music. Parts used for the crossover are the Clarity Caps PX 250V with a Vishay MKP 1837 0.01 uF bypass cap.

And seen from the tests they have low distortion, comparable to the XT25 and with a bigger sd surface then the XT's.

See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-97043.html

But indeed from that test you could choose the Peerless HDS, but at a bigger price.

All in all, I am very content with the DX25, sounds great, build quality is great and looks amazing...

In what setup would you want to use this tweeter?

Dank uw voor de reply...

I dont want to use the tweeter in a design - it is already employed in a set of speakers I bought. The tweeters gives me a headache! I cant listen to the speakers. Note that the speakers are made by a company that specializes in manufacturing quality speaker systems.

What brand are they?

Can you get the crossover specs? Or can you see what the crossover looks like? If they are crossed to low they would sound fatiguing.

And have you tried to set the speakers 25degrees of axis of your listening position (tweeter not facing you directly)...

Can you describe what the sound is like, does it sound to harsh, have you broken them in allready (100hours or so).

If they sound to foreward in the treble, the frequencies from 2500-4500 can be a bit to high... Do you have a way of measuring them with a program?

It's kind of hard to see the problem right away from your description.
More info please..

For sake of keeping peace I would not mention the brand or model nor place pictures.
Mid/bass is a 6.5" Vifa unit.

The vocals on music is extremely brash and forward!

The set is ~4 years old so they are well run-in.

I cant measure them unfortunately though I wish I could.

I did try various positions with tweeters inside and out and against the wall etc...

Maybe I could PM you the pictures of the x-over and such... or e-mail?

deltavektor said:
Dank uw voor de reply...

I dont want to use the tweeter in a design - it is already employed in a set of speakers I bought. The tweeters gives me a headache! I cant listen to the speakers. Note that the speakers are made by a company that specializes in manufacturing quality speaker systems.

I'm guessing that it was a bad pair or the designers did something very wrong. That does not sound like the DX25 tweeters at all.

Scott

If the x-o is implemented well, the DX25 is a very nice tweeter.
I use them in Gumby, and I can listen to them all day every day. :D

The DX25 has got quite a high slp rating, so I have to start wondering why they have chosen it to go with a single 6" driver. To me, that would be a warning of bad design! :xeye:

Either the woofer has a back break-up. Which Vifa woofer is it? hope its not one of those plastic frame TC or BC things, hardly high-end drivers ! or they have implemented the x-o very badly .... quite probably both !!!

Andy

I thought the SPL would be quite high on these but using them with single Peerless 830875 required only a small amount of padding in the AR crossover. In fact it's only using 3R9 on padding (1st and 2nd order on the tweeter) when a SEAS 27TDFC required 5R6 in the same design. I think the one I have is still a Danish made unit.

That happens quite a bit in AR series xo's like the XT25TG SPL drops like a bomb in the network..... 3R9 to drop it down to 85dB. Weird or what. :xeye:

rabbitz said:
I did some quick modelling and it looks like AR-series is more sensitive to tweeter impedance than the classic series. Seems the lower the impedance tweeters need less padding than higher impedance tweeters (with the same SPL).

hmmmmm... initially I thought that was very counter-intuitive because of the relative spl thing. but once you consider the series x-o as a 'balancing' cross-over I guess it makes a bit more sense..

but its too early in the day for "deep thought" :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.