low distortion 12" choices for open baffle application

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a low distortion 10" or 12" woofer to go with a DE250. The 12" would only need to do ~100Hz-1.6kHz.

With the 30% off deal on ebay this seems like the time to buy.

Candidates are:

Eminence Deltalite

18sound 12NDA520

Beyma 12g40

Ciare 12.75NdMR

Has anyone heard these against a more traditional hi-sensitivity mid like the PHY 1120?

Trying to keep this around $200/woofer. Amplification is a couple of 300B's - so higher impedance is preferred. 10" woofers could probably work too, but I've read less on them.

Thanks!

I have 3 of these, brand new. I might be interested in selling them, not sure yet..
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-510
http://eminence.com/pdf/deltapro-12a.pdf

Since you're considering those woofers you posted, I can recommend these without hesitation, as they can keep up with pretty much all of them, and perhaps beat a couple of them, for quite a bit less money.

A 1 cubic ft sealed enclosure will only get you down to about 100 Hz with .7 Qtc. I'm assuming you'll be using a vented enclosure for whatever driver you'll end up with. One potential problem you might run into with these (and a lot of other drivers, perhaps even those that you listed.. I haven't modeled them so I don't know) is trying to get the port resonance far enough above the lowpass crossover frequency (if you're as anal about that kinda thing as I am). With optimum tuning (imo) and vent diameter, the port resonance will want to sit right around your xo freq, so you might want to move the tuning up just a little bit.

This isn't why I'm considering selling them though. I simply can't get items shipped to me quick enough before scratching the idea and coming up with something else, lol.

May I ask what high freq driver/horn you're going to use them with? I was planning on going with the DDS waveguide and probably BMS drivers (4552ND?), but never got around to buying them. I guess my brain wanders too much to even start a project, much less finish it.

You mentioned a 1.6 KHz lowpass point, which is what I'd end up using with the DDS if I went ahead with the project. I had initially hoped for a little lower, but after seeing some graphs around the net, 1.6 KHz LR4 looks about right as far as response of the waveguide is concerned. As for mating a 12" driver with a 90 degree waveguide, 1KHz - 1.2KHz would actually be ideal.. but of course, there aren't any readily available 1" exit waveguides that go that low. Going with a 10", or even an 8" would be ideal with the DDS waveguide, as far as matching directivity is concerned. But going from a 12" to 10" loses a lot of efficiency and/or low freq capability.

edit: LOL.. I must have forgotten you're using them for OB. Sorry about that! :clown: :blush: :sleep:

oh - details of the project

This is the B&C DE250 compression driver - consensus has it as a smooth extended tweeter that's still less than the JBL and TAD stuff.

The RCF h100 horn/wave guide supposedly works well with these and is pretty cheap. On the other end of the spectrum, there's the Geddes stuff, but @ $250 for the guide and foam.... I'd really have to hear it to be convinced their worth 2x the price of the tweeter itself. Low end will be a few Selenium pw3's.

I'll let you know how this turns out, since it might help in one of your projects.

Here is Dan N's recent measurement of an AE TD12H, I think they've already optimized the cone/surround coating about as well you can.

td12H_outside_NF10-ff103.gif

Ang said:
Brett - saw you have the TD10M. How do you like the sound, and where are you crossing? (seems like it could be even better in terms of lateral dispersion than the 15)
The speakers aren't done yet as I'm waiting on some parts to arrive and check dimensions before I have the wood cut.

The plan is to use them between a ported JBL 2225 and a B&C DE250 on a WG somewhere around 250 to 1k2 or so.

The 10's and the 15's are absolutely smashing looking drivers, some of the best I've ever seen and I'm quietly confident in them. I'll post more as it goes along. You should look into the 12's - my earlier comment was before my morning cuppa and I forgot about the AE's. John is great to deal with.

I can highly recommend the Eminence Definimax 12" from personal experience. One of the best midranges I have ever heard. However, I would suggest a 1.2KHz xover. Higher than that is really pushing it for any 12". Even if it can go that high on axis, it will be very narrow off axis.

It will of course need EQ to work in an open baffle.

Otherwise I am told that Superavox make an open baffle version of the 215GMF though this is 10" I think, it will be tuned to give some decent bass without EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.