Looking to re-house Tannoy 10" DC and 10" woofers in to other cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to re-house Tannoy 10" DC and 10" woofers in to other cabinets

My first post here...
I'm thinking about rehousing a set of Tannoy Dorset driver pairs (10" DC and 10" woofer) into a DIY cabinet.
I like the Tannoy D700 format but have not been able to find any info on how they are constructed / internally baffled etc.
The D700's have twin ports in the rear and weigh in at 45kg's each.
They are made of 0.75" thick MDF apparently.

I find the Dorsets do mid and upper mid very well. I like the relaxed sound and when you turn them up there is a reasonable bass slam without them sounding harsh.
Interesting they sound much better on older recordings - I guess they were made for this...

I've read an old thread on here about a DC driver DIY and that was interesting.

Are there any 2 driver floorstander designs out there that would it the bill?
I've been through the pages of the Tannoy DIY site - Nothing on dual drivers there really.

So any pointers or anyone done a D700 DIY already - I'd love to hear from you.

The Dorsets, I have found out are a single dual cone 10" and passive radiator. The bass is not bad and quite subtle and accurate.

I am going to listen to a pair of 15" MkII Berkeleys soon to see the difference.

There are some interesting tech drawings for Chieviots that are 12" and similar 65 odd lts with a bass port. I might try something like that for fun.

Listen to a pair - hoho. You listen and just get your cheque book out.
They were fab.
I now have some 15"'er Berkeleys in the living room:smash: :smash: :smash:
Actually they are nicely ordered, detailed and deep...

I did have to do some tube rolling. The Kenrad 6SN7's I had in as Splitters and drivers were too bassy:)

You can see my gear here... http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/567380820eCZQqu

Here for more info on the amp etc...

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/535523301vfXSDn

At last the sort of coordinated sound and bass I am looking for at reasonable listening volumes...

The Dorsets will go to my work room for now.

I will be looking att 15" DIY cabinets but like them the way they are for now...

Congrats!

Which drivers are in the Berks?

I made a new pair of cabs based off the Ardens I also own. They're 3/4" MDF(1.25" face) with much better bracing. I also made them a few inches deeper for more displacement(200 litres) and use Parts Express's Sonic Barrier for lining.

Off the thread

Hi S.Steve,

First I would try to make a double- camber , double bass-reflex, for the two drivers if you have BL, cms, rms and other realated speaker data. The tune up requires some equipment, but you will get a feeling of whether you are going in the right direction by a computer calculated speakerbox. If the bass responce seems too much, one could try with a (low) high-pass filter/crossover. I have calculated a lot of speakerboxes for JBL, 2213H,128H and 2203A with luck by software from CAAD3,0 Monacor.

Secondly I would like to ask you, as where you live in GB, if you know where it is possible to buy a TVA-1 from Michelson & Austin? I need this approx. 70 Watt tubeamp for my "new" AR3a. What do you think the price would be? - and where can possible find the amplifier?

Look at:

www.tubeamp.hobbysider.dk
www.diagrammer.hobbysider.dk

Best regards
Kim Jul Hansen
Denmark

Kim, Sounds interesting - you are right I need to get into doing some simulations before taking to the MDF.
Mad idea that the 10" dual and the 15" dual in one speaker - no somebody stop me. It's been done with dual 15"'ers!

I've not come across a Michelson & Austin.
A quick search on the web did not reveal anything obvious for sale.

I am based near Woking in Surrey some 30 miles (as the crow flies) SW of London. I work in London (commute by train).

10" and 15" in same cabinet

Hi Steve,

I must have misunderstod you in the first. If your intention is one 10" dual concentric and one 15" woofer in the same box , I think a double bass-reflex or one acoustic suspension for the 10" and a reflex for your 15" could be your options. My brother uses a closed box for the 10" midrange/high bass , and a reflex-box for his 15" woofer , Coral.

Do you know any secondhand shops in London for used hi-fi tube gear, or a portal in UK for used hi-fi?

I understand if you don't have time for this.

Best rgds.

Kim

speedysteve said:
The Berkeleys are only a recent acquisition so you did not misunderstand. I think I will try the 10" DC in a cabinet of it's own and see and then when there is not enough bass :) I could build the dual dual...
Something like this...
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy119.htm
The comb filtering would be awful at that C-C distance if both HF units were driven.

I'd use the 4 DC drivers to make 4 speakers, each with a ported Pro driver underneath doing say 40-200.

Brett, you are most probably right. Keep things simple. Nice to see what wonderful creations some have tried though.

My plan is to rehouse the 10"'ers while the Berkeleys grow on my wife :)

I've put granite sheets on top so she can have potted plants on them (soften her up a bit).

This way I have a DIY project and only if it suits me sound wise would the Berkeleys get moved on.

Face said:
IMO, the plastic drivers are thin on bass. My S8's which are a 2.5 way system with 2 8" drivers doesn't come close to my HPD-385's(single 15").

If you're a fan of the tulip style tweeter, look for some 15" DMT's.

That has nothing to do with paper vs. plastic, and everything to do with volume displacement and tuning.

As a counterexample, my CPA-12s (paper 12) are very, very thin on bass compared to my 12 DMT II's (plastic 12).

And if you're going to use multiple woofers, better to locate them remotely so as to smooth out room modes. I'd keep the 2.5-way mains, and spread other woofers around the room. I've had great results with three subwoofers along with the 12 DMT II's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.