Performance of Peerless HDS tweeter vs well-known domes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am wondering if anybody has done any A/B comparison between the Peerless HDS and other well known stuff like 9900/9500/9500/R2904, Morel MDT33, D3004/6600 etc etc?
Have heard them in commercial but not the Peerless HDS.

I read there are some unreleased Salk designs (Jim Bagby's) which changed the MDT33 to this. Said to be pretty good..... No strain at very high levels? (of coz my definition of very high levels is different from the regular audio guys i'd believe :angel: )

It seems that this is a pretty nice piece, sensitive too. The freq response/tonality is not an issue as I am on digital/active so i can EQ.

Thinking of getting it for cheap thrills mated with the TD15M Apollo (my system is somewhat modular in a way)....low level listening....or maybe leave it on the Beyma 10MW/Nd module....whatever.
It seems it sounds low disto 90-95dB @ 1m dist (recalculated) in the tests. (augerpro/customanalogue tests).

Just wondering if anybody has any impressions on the sound quality of this piece versus the much more expensive stuff.
Ultimately listening to it is what matters.
Coz not convinced to splurge on nippled Relevators, though it would earn bragging rights to those visiting & not into DIY. Hahah

Some more info here:

http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/Usher_2way/Usher_2way.htm

The HDS tweeter is an excellent performer; the issue seems to be it's "rising upper treble" which dictates careful filter design. Nonetheless a good value considering the huge price difference between the HDS and the Scan Speak. Also consider the SEAS Prestige line - perhaps the highest value tweeters out there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.