green speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Loudspeaker transducers are (non-rotating) electric motors, so unless electric motors need breaking in neither do transducers. All one has to do is measure the drivers (for distortion in particular) when new and then after some interval(s) of use.

I believe this has been done, but I haven't seen anything like this from respected designers like Linkwitz or Zaph (correct?) - perhaps there's a reason.

I have little experience with hi-fi speakers, but quite a bit with guitar and commercail sound stuff. Never "noticed" it with sound systems but,
Guitar speakers most definitely change with use - some more than others. The hemp units seem to take more than most. Seems the better units do as well. High-end harshness disipates and low end seems to extend - both depth and quanitity. I expect the suspension compliance is loosening up.

Re: electric moter break-in; any mechanical device "benifits" from break-in to some degree. That's why hand lapping is desriable. And electri car/airplane guys can talk allnight 'bout breaking in these motors. That said, speakers have no moving part interfaces so not the same issue...
blah blha blah ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.