Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SR71 - receiver crossover?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2008, 11:38 PM   #1
jin5 is offline jin5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SR71 - receiver crossover?

I've finally finished building a zaph sr71 kit from madisound and it sounds fantastic. Much thanks to John for his design.

The receiver used to drive it is a pioneer 49txi with the lowest high pass crossover being 50hz. If I disable the cross over and send it a full range signal,will I risk damaging the speaker if any deep bass goes to it? like a 20 or 30hz signal in a movie.

thanks for any info.
Old 19th September 2008, 01:28 AM   #2
J.R.Freeman is offline J.R.Freeman  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Jin,

How do you like them? I have been thinking of building a pair myself - it looks like a great design from what I've read.

Looking at the crossover, if you've used the one in the kit, there is only a low pass section on the midwoofer. And, as a vented system the midwoofer will be unloaded below Fb. Damage could result.

If your system has a built in high pass at 50 Hz, maybe you could run a sub from say 60 to 70 down?
Old 19th September 2008, 01:51 AM   #3
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: SR71 - receiver crossover?

Quote:
Originally posted by jin5
....will I risk damaging the speaker if any deep bass goes to it? like a 20 or 30hz signal in a movie.

Depends how loud you listen to them. For music under average listening conditions I wouldn't worry. If you are using them for movies then you should definitely consider a sub in the very near future.

Peter
Old 19th September 2008, 02:12 AM   #4
jin5 is offline jin5  United States
diyAudio Member

I love them, I started with a set of Ascend Acoustics 360 classics, then to acculine a'2s and finally this pair of SR71's. This one easily out does all of them.

I'm pairing it with a 12" diy rythmik audio subwoofer which also sounds great.
Old 20th September 2008, 12:36 AM   #5
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I suggest playing the low-frequency content you're worried about louder and louder (with the sub off) and listening and watching for signs of distress. My guess is the receiver gives out before the woofer, and that would be very bad. If you're not this brave then use the receiver's HP filter.
  Reply to this post

SR71 - receiver crossover?Hide this!Advertise here!