SR71 - receiver crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've finally finished building a zaph sr71 kit from madisound and it sounds fantastic. Much thanks to John for his design.

The receiver used to drive it is a pioneer 49txi with the lowest high pass crossover being 50hz. If I disable the cross over and send it a full range signal,will I risk damaging the speaker if any deep bass goes to it? like a 20 or 30hz signal in a movie.

thanks for any info.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Hi Jin,

How do you like them? I have been thinking of building a pair myself - it looks like a great design from what I've read.

Looking at the crossover, if you've used the one in the kit, there is only a low pass section on the midwoofer. And, as a vented system the midwoofer will be unloaded below Fb. Damage could result.

If your system has a built in high pass at 50 Hz, maybe you could run a sub from say 60 to 70 down?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suggest playing the low-frequency content you're worried about louder and louder (with the sub off) and listening and watching for signs of distress. My guess is the receiver gives out before the woofer, and that would be very bad. If you're not this brave then use the receiver's HP filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.