3in midrange buyout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Might be interesting in an open baffle line array with that 0.53 Qts? But 60x$3 is a pricey experiment, and with PE being over-optimistic, 3kHz is probably right. Definitely a visual statement, though (and a chance to tweak with EQ and xover). Get 10 tiny tweeters to go along with your PE order....

got a pair to test. here is frequency response, taken on ~11x17 baffle, 2in mic distance. not bad sounding woofers, my only complain is that pole piece and/or frame are not vented.

Attachments

• 3in-buyout.gif
    3in-buyout.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,378
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MisterTwister said:
why? what is downside of vented pole? I'd imagine vent may create unwanted air turbulence...

vented pole pieces are noisy and will have a very specific resonance. The air trapped under the dustcap is bad enuff without adding insult to injury. Not so bad in a sub where there is a seriously opaque dustcap and the oil can resonance should be way above the pass band, but in a mid?

dave

planet10 said:
vented pole pieces are noisy and will have a very specific resonance. The air trapped under the dustcap is bad enuff without adding insult to injury. Not so bad in a sub where there is a seriously opaque dustcap and the oil can resonance should be way above the pass band, but in a mid?

Is it possible to add a phase plug to a driver with a vented pole piece? Would it not cover up the vent? If it did, what would be the result? Of course, the frequencies largely affected by the trapped air under a dust cap is probably dependent on the size of the dust cap etc.. but what area of the frequency range is it usually for say.. a 6.5", 8", 10", and 12" mid woofer with average size corresponding dustcaps?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as my buyout Eminence Delta Pro 12's sound to ME like.. big plastic cups.. if that makes any sense. As volume levels increase, it becomes more and more apparent. Just for the record, I've only played them by themselves, both free-air and in sealed boxes. Anyway, I'm guessing it's a combination of the kapton former, dustcap, and vented pole piece.. but I'm wondering which of those is contributing to it the most. If I can figure out something to improve upon the negative characteristics of these drivers, I'd most likely end up modifying them a bit.. if only I knew where to start, and the best ways to go about doing it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An easy experiment would be to stuff the pole vent with some damping material (not a good long term solution as fibres might migrate into the gap).

A phase plug over the vent hole would seal it if secured appropriately, get rid of the vent's oil can resonance, the voice coil's oil can, and improve HF response.

dave

Quite a promising-looking response from 200 to 2kHz! You could probable put a Behringer DCX2496 to good use in making a nice 2 way, tweaking the response a little, and with an appropriate 15 incher filling in the bottom and those in an open baffle.

Maybe you could just run a 60" piece of 1X6 or 1X8 down each side - perhaps with scallops on the edge at each speaker and perhaps a similar length of 1X2 or 1X3 adhered to the backs of all the magnets to provide fore and aft stiffening.

Wow. Yep, I'd try to work from about 2k to as low as possible, altho of course it really just depends on the woofer(s) they're mated with. Probably about 250hz 4th order at the lowest. Could run Alpha 15's all the way down the side, but of course then they'd be pretty wide, and that'd change everything. Looks interesting. Keep us updated with the results.

Also.. hope you don't run into any problems with the foam surrounds in the long run.. or blow them, lol. that'd suck for sure. ;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
MisterTwister said:
no, definitely not building cabinets. maybe narrow baffles.
I'm still trying to figure out how to mount them.

Have you seen the strips of MDF they have at Lowe's, etc.? They come in various widths and lengths with a white primer on one side, intended for siding and trim, I believe. (I've used a 6 (?) inch wide by 8 (?) feet long one for a speaker.) And then go to town with your hole saw.

yo Dave..

Just for future reference (I'd want to do one at a time first and do some before and after measurements and listening).. How do you go about making big phase plugs for drivers with a 2.5" vc? And what are they usually attached with? I have no woodworking skillz. :(

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BHTX said:
Just for future reference (I'd want to do one at a time first and do some before and after measurements and listening).. How do you go about making big phase plugs for drivers with a 2.5" vc? And what are they usually attached with?

The largest we have made were about 2" diameter (for Beta12LTA). They were hand made on a lathe cabable of turning a 12" bowl. They could also be CNC milled.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.