zaph's silverflute/vifa speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UNDERSTANDIN said:
GO TO: http://www.zaphaudio.com/5.5test/

for frequency response data. Also please note the comments on the Silver Flute driver. 1,800 hz seems to be the best crossover point for this driver. You'll need a not so cheap tweeter for this. An MTM arrangement might be a knockout, crossed over at that 1.8k.
<shrug> Oh well. To each his own...

Orient Express FR
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

cyberspyder said:
OT, but Undefinition, any chance you'd make a center channel version of the Orient Express? I'm building a 5.1 surround set or Express', but I can't figure out how to make the last piece. Also, what version of the Silver Flute should I use? Solen has two, the 4 ohm and the 8-ohm one.

Brendan
I have gotten a few requests for a center channel. Originally, I'd just say build one more TM and stand it up above or below your screen. Of course, that's not exactly the most glamorous setup, but it would definitely put out the right sound. And hey, we're on a budget here!

However, since Chainenoble was so generous to give me a pair of the woofers, I can certainly design a sideways MTM. I foresee two issues with this, but I don't know how big of a problem these would be for most people:
1. The Ohms load would be significantly lower than the normal TM version (theoretically half), since the woofers would be in parallel. This could be a strain on some HT receivers.
2. With two woofers in parallel, the output is [technically] 6 dB louder than a single woofer. This isn't a huge deal, but it does mean that the person setting up the home theater will have to compensate for this difference in volume between the center channel and all others.

So to those who were asking about a center channel, I ask that you chime in if either of those things are concerned or how badly you need the cosmetic look of a horizontal MTM center channel.

Thanks,
Paul

Undefinition said:

I have gotten a few requests for a center channel. Originally, I'd just say build one more TM and stand it up above or below your screen. Of course, that's not exactly the most glamorous setup, but it would definitely put out the right sound. And hey, we're on a budget here!

However, since Chainenoble was so generous to give me a pair of the woofers, I can certainly design a sideways MTM. I foresee two issues with this, but I don't know how big of a problem these would be for most people:
1. The Ohms load would be significantly lower than the normal TM version (theoretically half), since the woofers would be in parallel. This could be a strain on some HT receivers.
2. With two woofers in parallel, the output is [technically] 6 dB louder than a single woofer. This isn't a huge deal, but it does mean that the person setting up the home theater will have to compensate for this difference in volume between the center channel and all others.

So to those who were asking about a center channel, I ask that you chime in if either of those things are concerned or how badly you need the cosmetic look of a horizontal MTM center channel.

Thanks,
Paul

Yeah...the receivers I'm seen have a min. of 6 ohms...don't know if it's a good idea. If building the vertical version (for center use), which side should the tweeter be on?

Thanks, Brendan

Question about the special sale shielded 5.5" silver flutes at madisound:
Can you remove the shielding parts and end up with the same thing as the unshielded 5.5" silver flute? I don't know if manufacturer's just add a magnet and bucket for the shielded versions or if there are other changes. Anyone have insight on this?

Kepler said:

Question about the special sale shielded 5.5" silver flutes at madisound:
Can you remove the shielding parts and end up with the same thing
as the unshielded 5.5" silver flute? I don't know if manufacturer's
just add a magnet and bucket for the shielded versions or if there
are other changes. Anyone have insight on this?

Hi,

No. The cone and coil appear to be identical. From the numbers
you can ascertain the shielded version has a somewhat smaller
main magnet than the unshielded version but not a lot smaller.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.