biamping question(s)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built my first set of speakers (a set of Magna Cum Laudes), and they work great.

This set of speakers is going to college with me, but my dad liked them so much that he would like me to build a second set for the house.

As an amplifier, we have an Onkyo TX-SR805, which is capable of biamping the front speakers.

So my questions are:

Is biamping worth it from a sound quality perspective? (non-biamping already provides more than enough volume)

What changes would need to be made to the crossover network (other than disconnecting the woofers from the mid/tweet)?

Thanks!

big314mp said:
IIs biamping worth it from a sound quality perspective? (non-biamping already provides more than enough volume)
Typically, yes, in my experience.

big314mp said:
What changes would need to be made to the crossover network (other than disconnecting the woofers from the mid/tweet)?

Thanks!
Can't help you with that as I have no idea about your particular speakers.

big314mp said:
you have 2 ways for get bi-amping system as well.
1. use passive exist crossover the both part for tweeter and woofer, loaded separated amplifier. it's easy :)
2. make active crossover yourself. it's prety difficult but it's looks like arts, engineering

What I was thinking, was that I could disconnect the part of the cross that fed the woofers, and make that into the second terminal. I was thinking that the woofer part of the cross would have to be included into the circuit to get the correct frequency roll offs (terminology?), but the link that Pete posted doesn't seem to have any passive cross components on the woofer side.

So, do I need to remove/bypass the woofer part of the cross, or do I need to keep that in the circuit.

The crossover for the speakers:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=MagnaCumLaude#Crossover Design

I should throw in that I can't use active crossovers in the traditional sense, as the receiver I am using has all of that built in (I think) and it is sort of off limits to tweaking as an idiot proofing measure. If I find any more info on it, I'll post it.

Thanks!

passive bi-amping

big314mp said:
What I was thinking, was that I could disconnect the part of the cross that fed the woofers, and make that into the second terminal. I was thinking that the woofer part of the cross would have to be included into the circuit to get the correct frequency roll offs (terminology?), but the link that Pete posted doesn't seem to have any passive cross components on the woofer side.

So, do I need to remove/bypass the woofer part of the cross, or do I need to keep that in the circuit.

The crossover for the speakers:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=MagnaCumLaude#Crossover Design

You will need to use a terminal block on the speaker that has 4
banana jack connections.
Like this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-304

The top 2 connections are Plus / Minus
for the tweeters, and the bottom 2 connectors are (surprise)
the Plus / Minus for the woofers. Wire up your woofers to the
bottom connectors, and the mids and tweeter to the top connectors.
For normal use, a little gold plated piece connects the top
and bottom connectors, and you connect your amp to either
the top or bottom, doesn't matter.

For bi-amp use, remove the little gold plated piece and connect your
Onkyo to the mids and tweets on the top connector. Hookup a
separate amp to the pre-outs on the Onkyo and hook it up
to the bottom connectors. You'll have to play around with levels
a bit to make sure you are balanced top to bottom.

HTH,
-Don

Hi,
bi-amping will drive your dual terminal speakers without any alterations.
Instead of dual cables fed from one amplifier you will have dual cables each fed by an amplifier.

If the amplifiers have the same voltage gain then you don't need to alter any thing to maintain balance between bass, mid and treble.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.