My "Humble Statement" Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I've decided to start a thread to cover my Humble Statement build as per Tony Gees design.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Humble_Statement.html

First up I've had to make some minor modification to the enclosure design as I will not be using a CnC machine. I've spoken with Tony and these are well suited/matched for the design.

As per the design "The cabinet measures 1130x314x600mm with an internal closed volume for the two woofers of about 70 litres and gives a –3dB point around 45Hz. Below resonance the output level drops at 12dB per octave as compared to 24dB per octave if it were a reflex enclosure. So there is still quite some energy in the low bass area. The inside walls are lined with 8mm thick felt and the whole volume is lightly filled with BAF. The closed midrange compartment is about 3 litres in volume and tunes the driver to a nice Q of 0,5 with a -3dB point just below 200Hz. This compartment is filled with natural sheep’s wool."

I will be breaking the design into two enclosures:

Tweeter and Midrange Enclosure -
Internal Measurement (HWD): n/a (Approx 3L) *I will fill in the enclosure until 3L Volume is reached
External Measurement (HWD): 340x314 (Bottom) 82 (Top)x507

Woofer Enclosure -
Internal Measurements (HWD): 668x242x435 (Approx 70L)
External Measurements (HWD): 740x314x507

The T/M enclosure will have a curve as per the original design. I will be using 36mm MDF for externals and 18mm for internal bracings.

Heading to pickup the wood this week and hopefully have the woofer enclosure completed by the end of the weekend.

I've attached a "quick and dirty" image cropped from Tony's original. (Without bracing)

Attachments

• humble statement_cad.jpg
    humble statement_cad.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,635
Hi

Very interesting speaker.
Have you heard the originals? I'm a bit skeptical about the frequency response show . Maybe his particular spacing ( near the wall) boost
the bass and the result is ok as Tony as said hovewar.
But I presume a little different crossover can adjust for a more
"far" and free spacing.
Just a speculation of course.
Best wishes for the work.

Cheers,

inertial said:
Ok,
but I am referring at the entire range 50-250Hz .
In addition he use monster 21 " subs with EQ-XO so 35 or 50Hz
is not a problem imho .

cheers,
Quote from Tony about the first measurement shown on his Statement page:
"The bass seems a couple of dB’s down but listening tests prove deep bass and a firm foundation in balance with the rest of the spectrum. The lower of the two frequency plots is a simulated plot of the percieved energy response. As you can see, the bass is in balance with the rest."

Personaly I own a pair of Tony's Modulus (sealed f-3 = 63Hz): Subs really aren't necessary so I guess f-3 = 45Hz on the Statement is OK except probably in "special" (very big or very small) rooms.

;)

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
soundengine355 said:
From Tony:

The Statement has more "drive", both go as deep. Due to the low impedance of the Statement in the bass it does prefer amps that can give some current

I'm working towards something of pretty much the same layout as that "Humble Statement" speaker, but with three woofers instead of two.

These ones:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/scanspeak/23w_4557t.pdf

Two of these in a 70L sealed box will do an f3 of just over 30Hz with a Qtc of 0.7. However, connected in parallel, a decent amplifier would be required to drive them.

Cheers,
Glen

soundengine355 said:
ekta vs ekta grande???

Depends on the room you have...

I have listened to an older version of Sonus Faber Cremona speaker which has "probably" two 18W8531 drivers per speaker and these speakers need quite big room and a lot of free place around them, due heavy bass output to avoid "boomy" bass.

So, for Ekta Grande speaker you need to have big room 30 m2+ and a low impedance stable amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.