Faital PRO loudspeaker components at US SPEAKER

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ah, I see...TH pro stuff

No I dont care much about 15hz either...I have a 180-200liter closed matrix box fore the 18" :D its fore the dynamics and not fore impressing someone...and I want to keep the very good neighbourship I have
Actually I could do with a small 2way, but theres not enough fun or challenge in that

btw, so far my experience is that a vented design have audible phase problems in direct comparison with a closed design

Actually I am looking at two designs, one for my home stereo and another for my keyboard. The For the keyboard I want to keep size within reason so I am shooting for f3 of about 35Hz or so. Ideally I need and fs of about 50 or 60Hz for that application. I have a Wurlitzer 15" with fs of 45 and it sims as usable (even pretty good output) but the Vas is a little large so it ends up being on the large size but managable. I haven't measured all of my available drivers yet but most seem to either have too low of fs or to high Qes.

On the other hand the home system wants an f3 of around 15Hz. Interestingly enough the Wurlitzer actually sims quite nicely in that application as well. I have another driver (12" from a hammond organ) which has an fs in the mid thirties and sims pretty well in the home application but the efficiency and ultimate output at infrasonic appears to be actually much less than the Wurlitzer.

I may end up with a situation where the Wurlitzer is the best driver for both applications. :xeye: Still have to check out a couple 12" alnicos from a Baldwin though.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I'm just curious if Tinitus or anyone else has got their hands on the 18" Faital drivers yet. I'm pretty sure I'd like to use a pair of them to fill in the bottom end on my current speaker project, and I'd really like to get some feedback if anyone has anything to share.

They look excellent, and the specs fit the bill perfectly. Price is quite decent for an 18" driver too. If they don't sound good though, or if the build quality is no good, then I'd rather save myself the $600.

I'm not looking for much output below 40Hz, so the highish FS isn't really a concern. The driver will be going into a sealed box, and I do have the option of EQ'ing it to get the bottom end I want.

I have attached a drawing of what I'm working on. The midbass drivers are AE TD10M and the ribbon is NeoPro5i. If you haven't guessed already, high efficiency is kinda the goal for this project. The speaker is going to be made up of laminations, but stacked horizontally as opposed to the usual vertical stacking you see. The front will also have a 1.25" radius around the entire perimeter.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• speaker sketch.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 89

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tinitus,

I did see the ribbon and waveguide on the Beyma website when I was looking into 18" drivers. I wish I had seen it sooner, as it may have been a neat tweeter to try. The performance looks truly incredible from the datasheet. They are prohibitively expensive though, at over $600 each.

My favorite thing about them is that the distortion doesn't seem to rise at lower frequencies like it does with the NeoPro5i. It looks like you could actually cross them over below 1500Hz which really opens up choices for the midbass.

Keep me posted on your progress with the Faital drivers, and if I take the plunge I'll report back here and let people know how they turn out.

Just as a side note, has anyone used the Ciare NDC 18-4 S? It's my runner-up choice to the Faital, and the lower FS/higher Xmax would be a nice touch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.