BMS 4552ND exit angle for os waveguide?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i need to know the exit angle of the BMS 4552ND to construct an OS waveguide. I asked BMS, but got no answer. I hope that someone here has this information. If not, is there a way to measure it? If that also doesnt work, would you just guess an angle like 5 degree in the hope that it comes close or build a horn with zero degree?

Thanks.

Hi
You can remove the drive assembly with the 6 screws at the rear, just be slow and careful.
This is not a normal style driver however as you will see when its apart.
It's construction, lacking multiple path lengths in a phase plug and starting with a smallish diameter on exit , allow it to produce a diverging wavefront at the final one inch exit which makes it consistent with conical horns like i use or or other horns which have a fast initial expansion.
This is not a good driver for a long exponential horn for example.
Eye balling it again, it looks to be a conical section about 3 /4 inch long which (peering through the screen) begins at about 1/2 inch dia and ends at 1 inch dia.
If you take off the drive assembly, you will be able to measure that inner diameter.
Best,
Tom Danley

I recently opened one of my drivers and measured the inner geometry of its exit tube. Ill just post the results in case someone is also interested in building an OS waveguide for the BMS 4552ND.

The tube is preceded by a short segment that seems to be of constant area. I cant measure this one without risking to damage the driver. The flared part of the exit tube is 12mm long. Its starting diameter is 20mm and ending diameter is 25mm. This should equate a wall angle of 11,8 degrees.

As a sidenote, the change from the constant diameter part to the flared part of the tube is abrupt, so this should allready be a source of HOM, if i am not mistaken. I am curious if other compression drivers have similar abrupt changes in exit flare, so please tell me if you know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.