Home made cabinets require drivers and x-over. Any recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
aim said:

Thanks ever so much MJL... The reason I didn't choose this driver was due to the limited 1.5khz (40Hz-1.5kHz) usable range. The 3015 have a better sensitivity (I think) @ 100.8 and a usable freq. between 40Hz-4kHz (better for the x-over and HF driver selected). Although I must admit I've not considered the excursion.
Do you think that the 3015LF would still be the better choice?

Yes, the LF would be a better fit for your box. Forget about the 4khz figure for the freq response, you don't want anything from a 15" that high.
Sensitivity difference is negligible, and you can expect more linear output from the LF, so higher spl.

aim said:
Oh... and also, I'm 100% sure that these boxes were designed to be sealed, not vented. They came from an Eminence design book as such. I worry about cutting holes in them just in case I'm shooting myself in the foot ;)

The Kappas are best suited to vented boxes of the size you have. Cutting holes is no big deal as you can put the vent(s) on the back.
As for low end, you should shoot for more than you think you need, especially for an outdoor venue. Besides, an F3 of 40Hz isn't a compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.