Tannoy HPD Surrounds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Supposedly, the coating can be replicated by brushing the glue used to refoam the drivers over the surround. However, that is shaky information and came from other owners as opposed to a more official source. I'm not sure what the original intention of the "tannoplas" was as it doesn't make a great deal of sense to me to specially make a very high compliance surround and then stiffen it again with a glue-like coating.

If you haven't tried yet, you may be able to find some good suggestions on the Tannoy Yahoo! Group.

I replaced the foam surrounds on my HPD385's a couple of years ago withTannoy surrounds from Speakerbits, Melbourne, Australia. They came with two little plastic bottles full of white liquid. One was a glue and the other was a "stiffener" which was painted onto the surrounds (two coats) after the job was finished.

Both bottles seemed identical and looked and smelled like PVA glue - do not really know what they were tho'.

It might be worth you emailing Tom Manning at Speakerbits - he might be able to supply the "stiffener".

Cheers

Graeme

Thanks all

Thanks for all the replies, they have proved very useful, 1 other question, again on glues does anyone know the type of glue that holds the reinforcing bones to the back of the cone is?

Am trying to make as good a repair as I can and cosmetically it would be better if I could touch up the gloe on the bones where they attach to the new surround. The original has set a rigid white?

Thanks once again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.